• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Gourami Identification

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
I got this gourami about 2 years ago. It was sold to me as a "dwarf honey gourami". It is now about 2.5"+. I usually don't name fish (other than my JD), but this guy has been one notable fish. It's name is Brimstone because it is a burnt reddish brown color and it has a mean streak. It killed two hatchet fish and at least 1 true honey gourami. It was trying to kill a third hatchet when I intervened. The other fish deaths were mysterious until I saw him attacking the third hatchet.

I've looked up gourami species and can't really place this guy. He's aggressive towards fish that have similar body structures as gourami. But he isn't patterned like most of the dwarf gourami I've seen. He is a solid burnt reddish-brown.

Anyone have ideas as to what it is?
IMG_6821.jpg

IMG_6824.jpg

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I had a flame gourami one weekend.... I also bought about 20 black neon tetras that weekend and the Gorami killed about eight in a day. Didn't thinnk his mouth was big enough until I saw how he did it..... He bit the fish in the eye.

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
My gourami died today from dropsey. For the past few days it has been in a QT tank. Its body looked swollen and its scales were sticking out like a pine cone. Made an effort to treat but it didn't help any. Odd that a fish that gave me one heck of time when it came to compatibility is actually missed.