• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Got Permissin

For Valentine's day, the wife gave me permission to set up a wall of tanks in the utility room. :D :D I've been bugging her to let me do it for the last two years. :)

The plan is to use a 120 XH (five foot tank) with two 20L over it and maybe a 20H or 40B below it.

I'm announcing the news because I'll be looking for some fish. Probably will convert the current 120 (four foot version) into a Tanganyikan Tank.

So look out Daniel and Sarah. I'll be bugging you two soon. If you know what I mean. B)

Here is a drawing of my idea. The area to the right will be for storage of golf clubs, golf shoes and all the other stuff that is against that wall now.

WallTankswSpecsJPG.jpg

Originally posted by Pat Kelly@Feb 15 2006, 05:28 PM
Ive been talking to my wife. Not working. I want a bigger room....
Wife just got home from work and she feels so good that she gave in. She told the girls in her office that "I gave my husband the okay to add more fish tanks for his Valentines Day gift". She said they all went, "Ahhhh".

She gets jewelry for VD, and get to spend more of my money on fish tanks. Something smells a little fishy toytoy

Hey Pat, you might want to take her house hunting. :lol:

Originally posted by Spine@Feb 16 2006, 06:05 AM
That drawing looks nice.Where did you get the software to do that?

Spine
It was very easy to do. I use Microsoft Publisher. Simply use 1"=1' scale. Insert the photos from My Pictures folders. That's it.

longstocking

Members
lol I guess congrats is in order??? LOL.... :wacko:

Good luck building the stand... one thing I might suggest.... I think 6 inches to work above a tank is a bit small. I'd have to measure mine... but mine are a tight fit... but barely work.... you will most likely want more then 6 inches though.

Thanks for the suggestion Sarah. That is why I posted the drawing. So I would get some input.

However, if you notice, above the 120g tank where the two 20Ls are placed. There are end views of 2x4s on either side. The frame holding the two 20s will be set back about six inches (because the frame for the 2x20s is 60x12 with the sides extending to 18"). So the entry area of the 120 for service will be much larger than appears. The working space above the tank will be a total of 9.5" once I get past the horizontal 2x4 rail.

I have already done the same setup on my current rack. I can get very large rocks in there and have more than enough room for accessing the entire tank.

D

daniel4832

Bobby,
Looking forward to you coming over to pick out some fish :D
Thanks,
Daniel

Originally posted by daniel4832@Feb 16 2006, 12:16 PM
Bobby,
Looking forward to you coming over to pick out some fish :D
Thanks,
Daniel
Thanks a lot Dan.

I will be asking your advice on what I should do with a 120g Tanganyikan display. I'm guessing I'll go for a community setup. So I'll be looking for compatible varieties that are comfortable in a 4x2x2 tank.

Sarah, how I build my racks: I'll frame out 2x4s or 2x6s the size to fit the aquarium. The side verticles are bolted to the the frames. the front verticles will be two 2x4s sandwiched to make a 4x4. The longer part screwed into the frame and the shorter part supporting the frame. Basically the same as notching a 4x4.

In this case the 120 will be supported by four 4x4s and bolted to four side 2x4s. The top frame will be bolted to the four 2x4s. Because the tanks are only 12" wide, that should be sufficient.

I have built the two level 16' x 30' deck on my house. I have finished the basement into three rooms and have built two other aquarium racks. I feel pretty confident with my plans and skills.

But thanks again for your suggestions and concerns.

Here are a couple old shots showing my current rack that is built into the wall of the familiy room. You may be able to get an idea of what I was describing.

DSC_3745.jpg

DSC_3095.jpg

longstocking

Members
Looks great :) Just making sure you didn't make a boo boo... but you've done this a few times ;)

Not that I've ever done it LOLOL... watching Bill, I've learned a lot though :blink: :wub: :p :lol: :D

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Looking at the smiles at the end of that, makes me feel that watching him build stands
can be entertaining?

longstocking

Members
lol.... Pat.... it is fun when your first experience building racks was for 45 10 gallons in a VERY cramped fish room... under the infuence of a few glasses of wine and beer :rofl: :smash:

Now I just watch :angel: :p

Well, I am almost there. Spent the weekend building the new rack. All the cutting, screwing and bolting is done. Got to do the wiring, a few shelving things and I will be ready for glass.

Which I have already taken care of. Called the folks at TFP and reserved the 120 EX high. They only had two left, glad I made the call. I know I won't be disappointed next week when I want to hang a tank B)

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Cool. I spent yesterday building the stand for the 150.
I ended up with making it for the 150 on top and 2 29's on the bottom.
I figured the stand was 6 feet. Take out for the 4x4's on each end and one in the
middle and that comes close to two 31"openings. 29's are 30 1/4" long each.
Next I will start cutting my oak to cover the stand with. I hope it comes out okay.
We will see. I also painted the back of the 150 yesterday.
I always worry about the strength of things I build, but I think this will hold my truck up.

Hey Pat, glad to hear you are on your way.

Have a question or two.

72" wide on the inside for the 150. Deduct the the 60 inches for the two 29s and you have 12". Where is your filtration going to be located? ^_^