• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Good timing or bad?

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
A 20 something friend of my son has been talking to me about starting a tank.
He has a 20 gallon tank and we have talked a good bit about what to do. I gave him some stuff for the set up like sponge filters out of my tanks and such. He cycled the tank for a while and then yesterday came by to pick up some fish. I had tried to talk him into yellow labs but he wanted the Ps saulosi.

We walked into the room yesterday and two of them were breeding. You know for me it was great timing. We had talked about mouth brooder behavior but for him to walk into the room and watch was great.
But it was bad timing for the male. LOL We watched for about 8 or 10 eggs and then I interupted them with the net.

F8LBITE

Members
hahaha what a party pooper!

Speaking of, my buddy had been coming to my house for years and I have known him since we were in High School. He always liked checking out my tanks but always thought it was over his head to keep fish. I kept trying to talk him into it and he never wanted to really go through with it. A couple weeks ago he was over at my place and I happened to be doing a WC with my Python and he was amazed at how easy it was to change the water. So with the most intimidating thing out of the way he decided he would try it so I got him some Demasoni from Kevin and Wendy and some Yellow Labs from Michael so now he's really psyched about his new tank. Now his wife wants her own tank for the bedroom!!!!!!

Sorry for jacking your thread PAT:wacko:

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I'd say anytime you ****block someone it has to be bad timing:angry3:. What was the reason for interrupting the male? I'm not sure what type of input you were asking for:confused:.

Great work jose! I've got plenty of fry growing out if they set up another tank and want some more variety.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I was saying that while trying to get someone into the hobby and teaching them, it was good timing for me to catch the breeding and having him watch. May have gotten him more excited about the hobby. With some fish you can read about it, see them holding but not get to see it in person for a while. Here he got to see it before even taking the fish home.
Bad part was yes I blocked him. He will have another chance. I made sure both were in the bag and now in his new tank.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Ok. I understood both sides but I thought you were asking for some input. Its great that he was able to witness the spawning ceremony. Its an interesting act, and he'll know what they're doing if he witnesses it again in the future. Watching a video is not the same. Its great to have another recruit. We seem to have more and more people posting about their experience bringing in new people to the hobby.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I've never lived my life as a fish, so I can only provide input based on personal experience. Being interrupted/observed is one thing, but being removed from the act, that must be rough.