• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Going To Uruguay In December...

dogofwar

CCA Members
In late Nov/early Dec my family and I will be vacationing in Uruguay and Argentina.

After a couple of days vacationing in Buenos Aires, we'll travel to Uruguay where I'll join a fish collecting group led by Filipe Cantera and Ken Davis. (My wife and little one will be hanging out on the Uruguayan Riviera (La Paloma, Punta del Esta), seeing the sites in Montevideo, and maybe taking the ferry back to Buenos Aires for a couple of days. After a few days of fish collecting, we'll be back down on the beach for some more local collecting and hanging out with my family. Should be a lot of fun!

The focus of the collecting trip will be in Northwest Uruguay, near the Brazilian border (Salto, Artigas, Bella Union, Rio Uruguay), where we will find many species of Gymnogeophagus, Astroloheros, Crenicichla, Apistos, Cichlasoma, tetras, catfish and plecos.

The group will be specifically looking for Crenicichla celidochilus, but also expects to find C.minuano (diff. from the one from Rio Yi), C.missioneira (also diff.), C.scottii, C.sp. (similar to Lepidota but a new species), and who knows what else. We'll also be fishing for Dorado (which get up to 30 pounds...so not bringing them back :) ) I'm really excited to get various Chanchitos and Gymnogeos.

Pikes really aren't my bag, but I know that several people in the club are really into them. Same goes for catfish and tetras.

I have the choice of getting one or two collecting permits (for just me or my wife and me). Permits cost a couple of hundred bucks.

I can bring back quite a few fish with one permit:
1) Australoheros/Cichlasoma = 15(a minimum of 3 species....so you can , for example, bring 5+5+5 or 4+4+4+3)
2) Crenicichla = 15(a minimum of 3 species)
3) Gymnogeophagus = 24(a minimum of 5 species...for example: 5+5+5+5+4 or 6+6+4+4+4 or 4+4+4+4+4+4)
4) Tetras = max of 24, minimum of 3 species
5) Livebearers = max of 24, minimum of 3 species
6) Catfishes (as corys, ancistrus, hypos, rineloricaria, etc) = 24, minimum of 5 species
7) Catfishes (as pimelodus, pimelodella, rhamdia, etc) = 15, minimum of 3 species

I think that one permit should do, but are there enough folks in the club that would be willing to make it worth my while to bring back more fish (especially fish that I don't personally want/have room for)?

Are there any species that you'd like me to bring back? I can always ask Filipe if it's something that he can acquire as well.

Let me know...

Thanks,
Matt

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Matt, if you could bring back a bottle of my Uncle G Mendez's Uruguayan white wine that would be great.
download.gif

gimenezmendez.jpg

Thanx,

Richard Mendez

just kidding Matt;)

maddog10

Members
Matt,

Bring back Crenicichla.....lots and lots of Crenicichla.

Did I mention you should bring back a suitcase full of Crenicichla!!!!!

Crenicichla

dogofwar

CCA Members
It looks like La Brujas might actually be on our route back from Salto... I'll ask Filipe...

There's a two bottle "tax" for every bottle muled back :)

Sonny Disposition

Wow, yeah! If you could bring back some gymnogeophagus, and some cories, that would be great! I'm not fussy on the species, but I do like fish with red.

Thanks!

mscichlid

Founder
Crenicichla gaucho - males and females

Crenicichla prenda - males and females

Crenicichla minauo - males and females

:jumping0045: :jumpy: :jumpy: :jumpy:

jrpatter

Members
I am going as well. I am the token non-cichlid collecting guy going. I am the guy taking the collection data, pictures and generally diving into XXX(FILL IN DEADLY NAME HERE) infested waters trying to catch the ugly brown little fish.

Also down there are some interesting rocks and mineral samples. I am hoping to find enough to do another tank with gemstone substrate. Also I will be bringing back some wines/licquor.

For those that want to actually chip in and bring back an extra shipment the cost break down is:

$300 for the permit
$100 for the airline extra bag/weight charge
$100 to purchase the suitcase down there to bring it back the fish
and a really nice dinner when I get back

It was recommended for us to not bring coolers or other things that do not fit in suitcases. Styros in the suitcase is fine.

John

marge618

CCA member
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jrpatter @ Oct 3 2008, 06:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I am going as well. I am the token non-cichlid collecting guy going. I am the guy taking the collection data, pictures and generally diving into XXX(FILL IN DEADLY NAME HERE) infested waters trying to catch the ugly brown little fish.

Also down there are some interesting rocks and mineral samples. I am hoping to find enough to do another tank with gemstone substrate. Also I will be bringing back some wines/licquor.

For those that want to actually chip in and bring back an extra shipment the cost break down is:

$300 for the permit

It was recommended for us to not bring coolers or other things that do not fit in suitcases. Styros in the suitcase is fine.

John[/b]

WOW! Virtual fish collecting. (A lot like virtual football. You send out your own team, pay for food and liquor, watch the pics and WISH you could play, or manage the team!)

I am looking forward to the 'show' and want to see pics of everything you bring back. Gemstone substrate!!!! I want to see that too!
:addpics2:

dogofwar

CCA Members
Here's a link to Filipe's site...

www.aqvaterra.com

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (marge618 @ Oct 4 2008, 07:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jrpatter @ Oct 3 2008, 06:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

$300 for the permit

John[/b]

WOW! Virtual fish collecting. (A lot like virtual football. You send out your own team, pay for food and liquor, watch the pics and WISH you could play, or manage the team!)

I am looking forward to the 'show' and want to see pics of everything you bring back. Gemstone substrate!!!! I want to see that too!
:addpics2:
[/b][/quote]

tash

Members
are you allowed to bring back plants? I would love just about any SA plant :D

if some cories or apisto borellii happend to show up in Januarys auction I can't promise I wouldn't bid..... ;)

dogofwar

CCA Members
Apisto borelli is one of the species of Apisto found where we'll be collecting...

Matt

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tash @ Oct 15 2008, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

if some cories or apisto borellii happend to show up in Januarys auction I can't promise I wouldn't bid..... ;)[/b]

dogofwar

CCA Members
There's been a series in TFH (Tropical Fish Hobbyist) the last couple of months on the "Catfish of Uruguay"... Let me know what's most interesting to you and I'll see what I can do.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (longstocking @ Oct 16 2008, 07:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
catfish catfish catfish !!

Have fun Matt ! I'm envious ![/b]

tash

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogofwar @ Oct 16 2008, 01:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Apisto borelli is one of the species of Apisto found where we'll be collecting...

Matt

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tash @ Oct 15 2008, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if some cories or apisto borellii happend to show up in Januarys auction I can't promise I wouldn't bid..... ;)[/b]
[/b][/quote]

:D that's what I thought. actually the more I think about it the more I think that I would love a pair if you could get them. I just got some "opal"s at the last auction and they are so cute.

what about the plants?

this trip sounds fun. too bad my husband wouldn't think so.......

dogofwar

CCA Members
No idea on the plants. I'll find out. Coming back from South America with a bag of "weeds" might not be the easiest thing :)

I'm actually going with my wife and daughter (3 years old). My wife's not into fish in the least. We're going down a few days early to vacation in Buenos Aires and Colonia de Sacramento (Uruguay). Then I'll take off for a week to go do fish stuff...and they'll stay on vacation (beach, tour, etc.). It works out great (I hope)...

Matt

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tash @ Oct 16 2008, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogofwar @ Oct 16 2008, 01:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Matt

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tash @ Oct 15 2008, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

:D that's what I thought. actually the more I think about it the more I think that I would love a pair if you could get them. I just got some "opal"s at the last auction and they are so cute.

what about the plants?

this trip sounds fun. too bad my husband wouldn't think so.......
[/b][/quote]

fishfarm

Members
No plants, the USDA will confiscate them and most likely your fish too if you try and bring any back.
Bringing fish back from a collecting trip is a arduous process, from permits and govrnment regulation on both ends of the trip. Also having enough space to put the fish, we are allowed two suitcases per person and the fish must fit inside these. I could only bring back about 1/2 my allotment last year due to space limitations, Matt has a luxury, He's taking 3 people so can check 6 suitcases! Also consider the cost of such a trip. I'd think Matt will spend at least $8,000-10,000 to take his family down. My trip will cost me $3,000 just for one person. That makes these expensive fish. So breeding them in very important. I will focus on Crenicichla and Astroloheros species this trip. We can also do some horse trading on our allotment, I traded some of my catfish allotment for someone elses Crenichicla allotment last year, when we got to Miami we traded out fish. The amont of fish we will catch is unbelieveable, At each location we will decide what each person wants and release the rest back into the river, no need to take more than we can bring back. Felipe is a naturalist and very serious about not taken more than we need, also we don't keep any female Gymnos that are holding fry, they all go back too.
Catfish, Must be hundreds of undiscribed pleco species. Lots of otos and cories to, big catfish abound in every river system.
Tetras, Probable 80% of the fish in the rivers are tetras, the get in the way when you are collecting, I doubt more than 10% are discribed species. Make good Crenicichla bait too. Lots of cool pedatory tetras, I brought back some last year.
Cichlids, At least a hundred species in Uruguay, Every river system has something new. Their is a very good chance we will discover a new species on the trip. We did last year.
Hoplias, 3 species, Top of the line predator. We should get some small one we can bring back.
Livebearers, almost none are in the hobby, John will fix that!
Ken

marge618

CCA member
Hey All,
Has anyone heard from Matt (DogofWar) or Ken Davis recently? By my calculations they should be vacationing and fish collecting in Uruguay and Argentina right about now!