• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Going Back to Uruguay... Couple Spots Left...

dogofwar

CCA Members
So my wife gave me the thumbs up to go back to Uruguay in March (10-17)...and I can't wait!

Felipe is bringing us to the Eastern part of the country...hopefully to some new spots. March is nearing the end of the summer there.

Just about every puddle in Uruguay has unique Gymnogeos (substrate spawning and mouthbrooding), Chanchitos, pikes, plecos, cories, tetras, livebearers and oddballs. Planning to bring back my full permitted allocation (in my suitcases).

If you've always wanted to do something like this...and can't take two weeks off (as most of these trips are), then hop on this. There are a couple of spots left.

Depending on the final number of people who go, it will be somewhere between $1,300 and $1,800, all expenses for the trip - except for the cost of your flight and any incidentals you want (alcohol, soda, gifts, etc.).

Matt

rich_one

Members
So my wife gave me the thumbs up to go back to Uruguay in March (10-17)...and I can't wait!

Felipe is bringing us to the Eastern part of the country...hopefully to some new spots. March is nearing the end of the summer there.

Just about every puddle in Uruguay has unique Gymnogeos (substrate spawning and mouthbrooding), Chanchitos, pikes, plecos, cories, tetras, livebearers and oddballs. Planning to bring back my full permitted allocation (in my suitcases).

If you've always wanted to do something like this...and can't take two weeks off (as most of these trips are), then hop on this. There are a couple of spots left.

Depending on the final number of people who go, it will be somewhere between $1,300 and $1,800, all expenses for the trip - except for the cost of your flight and any incidentals you want (alcohol, soda, gifts, etc.).

Matt
Wow! Cool, Matt! Wish I could go... can't wait to see what cool fish you bring back though!

-Rich

jonclark96

Past CCA President
You are going to have a blast. Definitely a trip I want to take in the future, but can pull it off this quick. Maybe in 2014...

verbal

CCA Members
What kind of plecos do you usually get?

How many undiscovered species will you find and what size will the be?

j/k about the second question

dogofwar

CCA Members
Every stream has different ones, I think mostly not described. I think I can bring back about a dozen total with my allocation...

Big, small, medium. ancistrus-types. whiptails. And weird ones that incubate their eggs under their mouths.

Check out Felipe's website: http://www.aqvaterra.com/cichlids_others_catfishes.php

Matt

What kind of plecos do you usually get?

How many undiscovered species will you find and what size will the be?

j/k about the second question

dogofwar

CCA Members
It's kind of a different situation: other than Peru: there are no commercial exporters (other than Felipe) and export is closely regulated, so you are only permitted to take a certain number of each type of fish. I want to say about a dozen each Gymnogeos, chanchitos / acaras, pikes and catfish...and a couple of dozen characins and tetras.

You take the fish back in your checked luggage (vs. getting them shipped), so space is also a premium.

Ken, Scott Arney, (recently) Dan-Ye and a couple of other folks have done shipments from Uruguay / Argentina...and lets just say it's not cheap.

I'll have extras and make them available :)

Matt

will you be taking orders like some other generous folk i know of?

dogofwar

CCA Members
Not sure of the whole crew but (of course) Felipe's leading the trip with Ken Davis...

I'd love to go to Africa as well. Someday. Probably more of a family safari than fish/diving adventure though (saw a Living
Social deal recently for 7 days in Tanzania for like $3,500 per person)...

I've wanted to go back to Uruguay since before I returned a couple years ago. A uniquely wonderful place...and pretty darn affordable!

Matt

After an Africa trip... then I will hit up the new world!

Who are you going with this time?

dogofwar

CCA Members
Thanks for the link - I checked that out but the fish of Uruguay are so local to a particular stream that it's hard to use without river locations. Maybe finding what's closest and calling it cf. :)

I'll have to dig up my old pics and add some new ones!

One of my favorite memories of my last trip was snorkeling for a couple of hours on the Rio Cureim (river separating Uruguay and Brazil)...knowing full well that - other than the family running the ranch and us - that there were no other human beings for many, many miles....and diving down ~8 feet to find the adult plecos on the bottom of BIG rocks...

Matt

Here is a link to a map I set up showing all described catfish spp from Uruguay. You can run your cursor over each sp for a pop up photo, or click them via the hotlink for full information.
Any fish and/or habitat pics would be appreciated!
-Shane

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/search_result.php?distr_id=62&order=species&results=100

dogofwar

CCA Members
Still have some slots open for this.

We're going to be headed to Felipe's family's ranch in Salamanca...then to other spots in Maldonado (http://www.aqvaterra.com/why_uruguay_maldonado.php)...

Then to some new (never collected) locations in Rocha (http://www.aqvaterra.com/why_uruguay_rocha.php)

And probably some places in between!

If you're interested in going, contact Ken Davis (fishfarmusa at comcast dot net) for details.

Most of these trips are two weeks (and this one is for only 1 week), so if two weeks is tough for you to pull off...jump on this.

Matt

PS Felipe's leading a tour of European folks as we speak...including our April speaker, Anton Lamboj!

dogofwar

CCA Members
All of the "some day"..."Next time"..."gonna go to Africa first" folks... you gotta seize the day.

There is one guy - ONE GUY - who runs these collecting trips.

There is one guy - ONE GUY - who can get permits from the government of Uruguay to legally bring fish back (and not violate local Uruguayan laws and the US Lacey Act).

There is one guy - ONE GUY - who knows where every kind of fish (snake, lizard) in Uruguay is (and how to catch them).

Felipe's not going to be doing this forever. Especially if it's not particularly profitable for him and his family...

Make your wish come true :)

Matt