• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

GH, KH questions

jstlstn

Members
Setting up a 90 to move my Saulosi into checked my GH and KH the are 7 and 9 respectively. I have never check GH and KH before always had a problem getting test kits. This is much the same on the rest of my tanks. all my tanks are Malawi tanks with a PH of 8 to 8.1 only one of my tanks have any type of buffering (holey rock in one). What is the best way to up my GH and KH? For the Saulosi tank I am guessing if I raise the GH and KH before I transfer the fish they will most likely be shocked so I should raise it slowly with them in it. Any suggestions are appreciated.

chriscoli

Administrator
if you're in the DC area, our tap water has enough for them already. Just keep up with your water changes. If you feel they need a bit more, you might consider adding some epsom salt, marine salt, and baking soda. I think there are recipes out there that recommend about a teaspoon of each per 5 gallons of water, but I prefer doing mine per 20 gallons if I use any at all. Remember, if you do use salts, when you do a waterchange, only replace them based on the amount you changed, not the entire tank volume or you'll have the concentration creep up on you pretty quickly.