• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Getting Back into Cichlids

Hello,

I've been keeping fish on an off since the 1960's and am getting back into the hobby after a few year' break. I've had a bit success with breeding cichlids, but nothing out of the ordinary and now prefer smaller cichlids such as jewels, kribinsis, etc. Over the years I've kept and bred angels, keyholes, rainbows, salvanis, convicts, sevrums, oscars, texas, firemouths, dempseys, several different acaras, a bunch of dwarfs, and wolf cichlids (p.dovii) that were meaner than junyard dogs --all for fun!

I'd like to find an attractive species and go from there, -- perhaps the Bolivian Ram (Microgeophagus altispinosa) or the Flag Cichlid(Laetacara curviceps). I'd welcome your suggestions and leads on sources on these and others.

Greg

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Welcome to the forum, Greg. Sounds like you've had some awesome stuff in the past. :)

mchambers

Former CCA member
Rams

Hello,

I've been keeping fish on an off since the 1960's and am getting back into the hobby after a few year' break. I've had a bit success with breeding cichlids, but nothing out of the ordinary and now prefer smaller cichlids such as jewels, kribinsis, etc. Over the years I've kept and bred angels, keyholes, rainbows, salvanis, convicts, sevrums, oscars, texas, firemouths, dempseys, several different acaras, a bunch of dwarfs, and wolf cichlids (p.dovii) that were meaner than junyard dogs --all for fun!

I'd like to find an attractive species and go from there, -- perhaps the Bolivian Ram (Microgeophagus altispinosa) or the Flag Cichlid(Laetacara curviceps). I'd welcome your suggestions and leads on sources on these and others.

Greg
Avatar here has some excellent Bolivian rams. You should check with him to see if he has any available. Last I heard, his original fish were still reproducing like rabbits.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Come to the meeting on Saturday...and I'll tell you about all sorts of Uruguayan fish - Gymnogeos, Chanchitos, Pikes that sound like they're right up your alley....

Matt

toddnbecka

Members
I have loads of Australoheros oblongum juvies available, and one curviceps that's been around for over a year now.
Daddy oblongum, maxed out at 5":
P1030191.jpg

Little momma, about 4":
P1020799.jpg

Juvies:
P1030685.jpg

I also have too many breeding pairs of Cryptoheros cutteri on hand.