• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

German Blue Rams

DeeCee

Members
Hey everyone,

I'm considering broadening my horizons and starting up a tank of German blue rams. The only problem is that I have no idea where to start with them.

Anyone here keep them?

DeeCee

Aiacr

Members
I have a pair in a 15 gal tall. the male is actually really awesome looking, ill see if i cant get a picture of him. I dont think they've spawned at all since ive had them (acouple of months now) so i dont think im doing everything right...i dunno. Nice looing fish though.

DeeCee

Members
Hey Ben, I'd love to see a picture of them. I've been poking around some forums to get some info on them, and I guess I probably will check & see what Peter Thode has available -- unless someone here has any that they're selling ?

DeeCee

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I still think you would do better with SA Rams.

Jorge

fishboy11

Members
I will tell u my little adventure in the summer of 05 with them. I had a 10g setup with sand, Anacharis, and Cabomba. I had a pair of blue rams that were just stunning. I had the for 9 weeks i think it was. They spawned every 9 days, 7 times i think. The first 3 spawns were in water that has parameters for african's. Then, i collected some rainwater and put it in the tank to bring the parameters down to a level that i had read would allow the eggs to hatch. Well, the next 4 spawns didn't hatch. My female died, so i took the male back to the LFS. And that is my experience.

marya

Members
I had a similiar experience. It took me two or three males to get one who survived. I ended up with a lovely pair who spawned regularly but never got the fry to survive longer than a couple of days. If you don't get good quality stock to begin with these guys seem to die at the drop of a hat. Even with good stock they can be difficult to spawn successfully. I never had any problems with the bolivians, but the blue rams were not my fish. :(