• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

German blue ram setup

Adman87

Members
Hi all. I really want to keep a pair of German Blue Rams how does this setup sound?

37 gallon tank, RO water pH 7.2
6 Rummy nose, 2 GBR (1male, 1 female), 1 Cory, 1 Pleco.
Penguin 150 hang on filter
Heavily planted (fake plants)
Small natural gravel

Questions I have:
Will a pH of 7.2 be ok for GBRs? Are farm raised more ok with this neutral ph or should I attempt to lower it? I don't really want to use peat as my wife doesn't really like stained water.

Will small gravel be ok? Or is sand necessary?

Are Rummynose tetras an ok dither fish?

What am I missing? I'm kinda stepping up my game with this fish.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Beeman

Members
I don't see anything about your set-up that won't be conducive to keeping a pair of GBR's, although there are a few other members on the forum with much more experience with them than I, namely Frank Cowherd, as he breeds them quite successfully.
I do have to point out though, that corys do much better in groups. The more the better. In your size tank, you could easily add half a dozen more!
Also, weekly 50% water changes go a looong way in keeping all fish successfully. Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Adman87

Members
Thanks very much for the suggestion! I will try to get a hold of him. Also, I suppose I should add a couple more Cory's (I'm adding them primarily for cleanup duty on the bottom). Is their cleaning action more beneficial than their waste production?

verbal

CCA Members
Are you trying to breed the Rams? Or is the goal a community tank with them as the "centerpiece fish"? I think a pair should be fine at pH of 7.2. Frank has them available.

Adman87

Members
I have no interest in breeding them as I have no outlet for fry (it would be cool to see though). My LFS has them as well but they do look a bit stressed. Also, I live in Minnesota so I'm not sure any fish can be shipped here due to the cold (for the next 5 months).

Also, I just checked the pH of the water in the lab I manage and it's 5.5 out of the RO tap. Thought on switching to this water?

phishfriend

Members
One Cory isn't much of a clean up crew and as say above
They really need a grouping of 4 to 6 to feel safe. Also, pleco's produce more waste then they remove. So I would really rethink your cleanup crew. ;-) maybe a few nerite snails. They don't breed in freshwater and will munch algae All day.