• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

FS/FT: Nano Reef Stock

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Took my 26 gallon reef down a couple of months back and just finally dismantled my desktop 6 at work. I have the following stuff for sale/trade:

-Ocellaris clown (standard orange variety 3")
-Royal gramma (3")
-Tiger pistol shrimp (1.5")
-6#-8# live rock - a few common mushrooms/zoos attached (nothing fancy)
-Live sand

Perfect if you're looking to start up a small reef setup - 10 gallons or so would be sufficient. Have some other stuff - HOB CPR skimmer, power heads, 10g sump and acrylic overflow if you're looking to "do it up." Shoot, even have a 20 long that I could spare cheap if you're looking for a whole SW setup. Also have salt, additives, test kits and a hydrometer... basically everything you need (short of the interest, which I am lacking).

I'd prefer to get rid of all the livestock together.

Shoot me a PM with an offer and we'll talk. Trades are welcome if it's something decent that I have room for..

Can bring the stuff to the May meeting or for pickup in Gaithersburg.

YSS

Members
Hey Tony,

Interested in the royal gramma and shrimp and possibly the live rocks. How much?

Tony

Hey Tony,

Interested in the royal gramma and shrimp and possibly the live rocks. How much?

Went back and looked and it's closer to 5# of rock. Nano-sized stacking pieces.

Any chance of you taking the clown as well? I'd hate to leave him all alone. $25 takes it all (2 fish, shrimp, sand, rocks).

YSS

Members
I have a pair of clowns in the my 36G. I've heard you can't have 3 clowns in a small tank, but I will do more research and get back to you. $25 sounds good. Thanks, Tony.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Do clowns breed in captivity? Easily/well?

Have always stayed away from salt water because it's generally so predatory on reefs, but breeding clowns might ease the pain.

Tony

Have always stayed away from salt water because it's generally so predatory on reefs, but breeding clowns might ease the pain.

Clowns are pretty cool fish. IIRC, they are a reverse harem breeder of sorts. All fish are born male and will turn female in the absence of a dominant female. The female will tolerate several smaller males in her territory. When the female dies, the first male will switch sexes to take her place. Pretty neat.

I had a book called Clownfishes (Joyce Wilkerson) that went through breeding them. It's relatively straight forward for most of the more common breeds. I believe the hardest part is supplying live food for the fry - which seemed difficult 4-5 years ago when I was reading the book. Not really so much these days though...

YSS

Members
My pair spawn quite often as a matter of fact. Each time, they lay well over 100 eggs. But they are all gone before hatching. Often, I would see the eggs develop enough to see eyes and stuff, but never make it all the way.

Tony

My pair spawn quite often as a matter of fact. Each time, they lay well over 100 eggs. But they are all gone before hatching. Often, I would see the eggs develop enough to see eyes and stuff, but never make it all the way.

Yun,

You should totally try to get them to spawn on a clay flower pot the saucer part. Then you could pull them to try to get them free swimming.

Baby clownfish - now that's cool.

YSS

Members
I am getting mixed reads on keeping three clowns in a tank. I can try and see what happens.

I am going camping this weekend, but can stop by this Sunday around noon on my way back. Would that work?