• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

FS: Blue Eye Pleco - Not Mine

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
The blue eyed pleco was thought to have been nearly extinct in the wild. This jacked up the demand and thus, the cost. A few years later, they were found in waterways close to the original collection point. When they first became available again, the price tag was as high as 1500 (I know this from seeing the wholesale price on order forms back when I managed TFW). They are still considered rare in the hobby and when available, they are usually quite large.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I think this is one of those cases where rare doesn't mean extraordinary. I just couldn't see dropping that kind of money on a pleco.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
I think this is one of those cases where rare doesn't mean extraordinary. I just couldn't see dropping that kind of money on a pleco.
I SWEAR I WAS THINKING THE SAME EXACT THING. 450 FOR BLUE EYES SOUNDS EXTREME. NOW IF IT WAS ALL BLUE OR GREEN IT WOULD BE PRETTIER BUT NOT WORTH THAT. :rolleyes:

rich_one

Members
All I know is if I could spend that kind of scratch on a single fish, I'd be way into stingrays! Cool fish, but most of them are above my pay grade! LOL...

-Rich

neut

Members
I used to have some of these... back when you could buy them for $35... a cool fish in their own way and I did like them, but not enough to spend $hundreds on one... and maybe it's just the photography but the ones I had and used to see back then had much bluer eyes than those photos show.

dogofwar

CCA Members
It's a rarity thing...they're no longer legal to export from Brazil...

I had one back in the day (when they were like $20). Kinda cool but not mindblowing... They eat wood and get pretty big.

$450 is a good deal.

Matt