• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

FREEZE HITS FISH HARD

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
"Breen estimated he lost $535,000 in business because of the cold."

Ouch...

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Sorry I missed you at the meeting, Q. There were so many folks there, I was running around like a chicken with my head chopped off, trying to see everyone.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
WOW! Amazing that Miami was that cold, almost unbelievable.

So much for Global Warming, right!

RM

iamzrad

Members
****, the cold must of hit Miami as soon as I left. Because when I was there last week, the lows were 62F and the highs at 78-82F...

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
Sorry I missed you at the meeting, Q. There were so many folks there, I was running around like a chicken with my head chopped off, trying to see everyone.
BRO ITS ALL GOOD CUZ I WAS DOING THE SAME AND THEN I HAD TO LEAVE WHEN THE AUCTION STARTED. ;)

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Miami is pretty far south, so I'm sure almost all of the fish farms got hit pretty hard. Thats going to really hurt consumers. It may be a while before their stock is replenished enough to begin shipping fish again, and the losses are going to drive prices up until the supply levels back off.

mrkillie

Members
Miami is pretty far south, so I'm sure almost all of the fish farms got hit pretty hard. Thats going to really hurt consumers. It may be a while before their stock is replenished enough to begin shipping fish again, and the losses are going to drive prices up until the supply levels back off.

Sounds like a good time for us local breeders to kick things up a notch.

Cartel

Members
That's what I get for getting rid of the last of the females I had sat lol

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org

Jumbie

Members
Man that really sucks, I really feel bad for the guy!!!! If the cold weather affected the fish farms, a lot more consumers will be seeking out privet breeders/hobbyist. It feels like the stock market....now would be the best time to get breeding colonies and start making a little money here and there.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
NOW IF ITS THIS BAD AND ITS HURTING THE FISH HOBBY GET READY FOR FRESH PRODUCE AND JUICES TO SKYROCKET. THIS IS HORRIBLE. I SAW THEM TRYING TO SPRAY WATER AND THEN LIGHTLY FREEZE PLANTS LAST NIGHT ON THE NEWS TO SAVE THEM FROM FREEZING AND DYING.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
I JUST READ THIS FROM A BREEDER :
Below is news I am getting reports on in the fish industry in Florida at the moment.For those on the East Coast as well as throughout the country,very large amounts of our fish are brought in from the wild and sent to farmers/breeders in Florida.They then disperse them out across the country and raise breed them etc b4 they can get to us.I had a large order being flown in to Florida for me from Brazil through my one supplier and the entire shipment was DOA do to the weather.This is no joke,this was just reported to me and I am now speechless.Please read below:
We have fielded calls for 24 hours from farmers from all over the state. The news is not good and losses may be greater than ever. We are going on the 11th day of temperatures below 60 degrees and the effects are showing. We believe the South American Cichlid supply is totally gone. Some farmers are concerned that they may not have breeders to restock. We are working with them all on sharing stock with each other after the cold is gone. This product will not be re-planted until the last cold so we are looking at late summer before we have steady supplies of Convicts, Firemouth, Jacks, Jewels, Salvini, etc.

Tetras will also be short in the coming months. The advantage here is that these can be spawned and restocked immediately and there is quite a bit of supply inside. The items that were hurt include anything that was thought to be cold tolerant and left uncovered. (Black Tetra, GTO, Black Phantom, Lemon, Red Eye, etc). Although there are heavy losses, we should have adequate numbers for at least the next 60 days. Other tetras such as Serpae, L/F Serpae, Black Neon, Scissortail, etc. are covered and we will not know the extent of the damage for a few more days but there are losses. Several farmers do have fish ready to sale.

Barbs - It is still too early to get a good picture on barbs. Tiger Barbs are covered and no one is touching them until the weekend. Many farmers see dead fish but are hoping for the best. Rosy Barbs and L/F Rosy made it through on our farmers uncovered. We think we will be ok with most of the rosy varieties after the water warms. Gold Barbs are still a question although our primary suppliers have good numbers inside.

Angels - Too early to tell. Our primary vendor’s operation is inside and should be ok long term. We will know more next week.

Plecos - Losses are more severe in the interior sections of the state.. Again, we will know more when it warms up and we pump the first pond.

Feeder Guppies - Probably a complete wipeout.

Danios - No major losses at this point although they are not available due to pond temps. If it was not in the building, they are not trapping until the weekend. Unless they break down when the water warms, we should be back to normal on these by the end of next week.

Gouramis - They are running short this week because no one has brought any in this week. Even the fish we are getting here are having cold water issues. Kissers will be short. I will know more on the Blues, Golds, Opalines, etc. in the coming weeks.

Africans – Fish raised in doors are fine. We’re meeting with the other African cichlid farmers today.

Glofish - No major issues as of yesterday except we have probably lost all fry that was one month of age or younger. The older fish seem to be doing fine.

In all, it is still too early to determine the extent of the damage, but it already is shaping up to be severe. The industry leaders are already speaking with the state and Federal agencies about assistance for farmers.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I've got Jewels, but this area seems to be saturaed with the fish so they are hard to move.

Lively

Members
Hmm, Jacks were on that list of hard hit fish. Might be time to crank the temp back up and get my two breeding again....

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
Hmm, Jacks were on that list of hard hit fish. Might be time to crank the temp back up and get my two breeding again....
I HEAR YA KIDDO! I DID.NOW IF ONLY MY FESTAE PAIR WOULD BREED. IVE SET THEM UP WITH THEIR OWN ACCOMODATIONS.