• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Free- Box Turtle

Cartel

Members
A couple months ago driving home I saw a turtle in the middle of the road. I picked up and took it home to relocate in the woods. I never got around to that part...I had an empty 40L and it seemed fitting to put it there. In hindsight I should have just relocated it because it was an impulse kind of thing. Regardless I will keep caring for it but its just something I dont need. So if anyone would like a free turtle (Murdel) your more then welcome to take it off my hands for the low cost of free. Its pretty easy to take care of have the lights on a timer and just make sure the bedding is clean every few days. Food and water and its a go. I cant id turtles or anything for that much so no idea what kind it is. Located in Baltimore county and always around the city if meeting up is needed. Also work in Howard county around Jessup/Columbia so thats also a possibilty.

Complimentary crappy iphone pic.
60c41684.jpg

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Pretty cool little dude. Looks like an eastern box turtle to me. They are easy to care for. Somebody scoop him up!

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
It is an Eastern Box Turtle. The ES where I teach has a large courtyard that is home to a breeding population of Easter Box Turtles. They are hibernating for the winter now.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
You should have left it by the side of the road pointed in whatever direction...

...it was going. Now it's too late in the year to release as it won't have a chance to acclimate and will just freeze - all its kin have are already safely tucked away and have gone dormant for the year. Come Spring, it belongs with them, outdoors.

Having just one of anything wild doesn't serve much of anything - that's just how it is.

mscichlid

Founder
I'll take him. I need him and will release him when I'm finished. I have stopped on the road many times and picked them up and put them in the woods when they are on the road.

Don't hybernate? I also have the option of taking him to a nature center of my previous employer if it is too cold to just let him go at this time.

Why don't you bring your hindpots to the holiday party tomorrow and drop him off. It would be great to see you and we could kill two birds with one stone.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
its way to cold to let him out to hibernate now, they are supposed to start gettign ready in end of september.

They do fine in a stock tub or bin until spring.