• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Free 9" Jack Dempsey

rich_one

Members
Free to club member only. 9 inch jack dempsey. This guy is just too aggressive for my current stock. I got him for free, and am paying that forward. But only to club members. I want to make sure the big guy is taken care of properly.

Pickup only... no delivery, as I cannot make this month's meeting, unfortunately.

If anyone near me is going to the meeting next week, I will donate him to the club auction... I'd prefer pickup as soon as possible, as my tank space is limited. But I suppose, if I must, I can put a divider in my tank to hold this guy back.... just rather not.

I will consider rehoming this to a non-club member, if you pay the memberhsip fee and become a member. In that case, I would like you to pm me to discuss. Thanks!

-Rich

-Rich

mscichlid

Founder
Wow! I didn't know JD's ever got that big. Is he show quality? How about a picture.

nevermind...I was thinking of another species....

Lively

Members
Wow! I didn't know JD's ever got that big. Is he show quality? How about a picture.

nevermind...I was thinking of another species....

*frown* silly girl! lol

How old is he? Mine was 7 or 8 years old and he topped out at about 11". Is someone breeding in the tank? Mine was pretty mellow until something was breeding...

rich_one

Members
I don't know how old he is. He is mainly intent on killing a smaller male, I think. But he was attacking everyone in DQ's tank. I really do not want him harming or stressing my 4 inch bocourti and my 4 inch pearsi pair. I just don't trust the guy. No clue how old he is. I actually got him from Big Z, but since I sort of changed what fish were initially going to be in my tank, it created a situation whre I do not want this guy harming my other fish now. So... that's really all I got. He is very healthy, and is an very attractive male JD, in my opinion. I wish I had some place to keep him, honestly.

But my loss can be some other member's gain.

-Rich

Lively

Members
Good, I wouldn't be happy to find out that one of *mine* was going around being the bully in the tank! lol

rich_one

Members
LOL!

I am going to end up having to put him in there at some point today... was hoping to avoid it. But large, free JDs don't seem to be in much demand these days! LOL...

-Rich

Lively

Members
LOL could that be because at that size he won't tolerate roomies?

None of my females are big enough to take him on otherwise I would take him.

BIG_Z

Members
He spent the last few months in a tank with only a lady friend. It was even a pretty small tank at that (55gallon) He was fine with female JDS (the smallest one he liked was barely 2 inches lol and his wife was one of the females you got that are around the 4-5 inch range) but in a tank that small anything else (pleco included) were not looked at as friends. I also have no clue how old he was ( I got him from dustin a few months back and he got him as a pet store drop off)..and did I mention that when I got him the were almost no fins as he was living with RBPS...aka he fears nothing anymore

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
YEAH HE IS A NICE LOOKIN JD WITH LOTS OF ATTIUDE LOL. I HAD HIM IN MY 180 AND HE TOOK OVER AS HE HAD MY MALE RTM BY 4". HE BEAT THE OTHER MALE UP TO GET AT THE FEMALE JD YOU HAVE. HE DEF HAS NO QUALMS ABOUT WHO IS BOSS. SOMEONE WILL BE GETTING A NICE FISH!

rich_one

Members
Well... so far, so good. He is in, and so is the adopted oscar! WOW! That fish was BETTER than advertised!

Anyway... so far, he is playing nice with everyone. If he takes out the other male, such is life in the animal kingdom. If he starts messing wtih my bocourti or my pearsi, he's getting evicted. So far, he approached the oscar, and decided not to try it. He has ignored the angels so far.

So for now, he stays... we'll see what happens next! He is an awfully beautiful male, I must say!

-Rich

rich_one

Members
You undeniably need more tanks if you angels in the mix!
The angels are an experiment. I was told they would do well as "dither" in this tank, and that the other cichlids would ignore them, due to them not being conspecific.

It's only been 24 hours, but so far, the other cichlids have literally paid them no attention. I am already mildly surprised by that in this short span... we'll see what happens long term. I can always toss them in with the discus, I suppose, if they start getting picked on.

-Rich

minifoot77

Members
just toss em in the freezer or garbage disposal if they won't work or let them tough it out but i have heard angels can stress out discus so i wouldn't do that.....

rich_one

Members
just toss em in the freezer or garbage disposal if they won't work or let them tough it out but i have heard angels can stress out discus so i wouldn't do that.....
Well, dude... right now I'm speechless. They are looking great... not appearing remotely stressed, and I fed them all for the first time today, and the angels were right in the mix, getting their food. No one tried to intimidate them out of the way, or anything.

If I was not watching this with my own eyes, I would not believe it. I would think you were crazy, for having angels in a tank with an oscar, jack dempseys, bocourti and pearsi.

And yet here I am... seeing this with my own eyes. Dude... they completely ignore the angels. Not one hint of trouble so far. Wow.

-Rich