• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Frank's 180G Malawi build

frankoq

Members
All the fish in the 90g moves to the 180: Peacocks, mbunas, and a few haps. 3 clown loaches, and a gold nugget pleco.

frankoq

Members
here is the latest. Thoughts?

Now trying to get the water to 80F and the PH to 8.0

24504B4E-235B-4E6D-BEBB-FA7253B5C32A_zps0gnrlctf.jpg

dogofwar

CCA Members
I prefer a less symmetrical layout but I'm living in a glass house when it comes to aquascaping advice :)

Why 80F? I few degrees cooler is fine for African cichlids, will result in less aggression, less power usage, less food consumption and less waste.

Covering your tank will also increase the efficiency of heating the tank.

Looks great!

Matt

frankoq

Members
I prefer a less symmetrical layout but I'm living in a glass house when it comes to aquascaping advice :)

Why 80F? I few degrees cooler is fine for African cichlids, will result in less aggression, less power usage, less food consumption and less waste.

Covering your tank will also increase the efficiency of heating the tank.

Looks great!

Matt

good point on the aquascape comment. But I'll leave as is for now (read: too lazy to change). :)
I could go down to say 78? I keep it high for fear of ich.

Hope to add the fish tonight.

Thai

Members
Frank...I'm a bit dissapointed! All this work you've out into the tank so far and you made the inside look like Connecticut ave! We need to work on your rock placement my friend!

Thai

Members
This was your tank before I sold it to Eric, i still have a lot of these rocks if you need some more

dogofwar

CCA Members
Susceptibility to ich is a result of exposure to sick fish and stress on fish and not keeping them at 74 or 76F vs. 78F.

Want to keep ich to a minimum? Quarantine, stock in ways that minimize aggression and keep temps steady.

Matt

good point on the aquascape comment. But I'll leave as is for now (read: too lazy to change). :)
I could go down to say 78? I keep it high for fear of ich.

Hope to add the fish tonight.

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
I look at display fish tanks almost as dynamic works of art. Obviously you want to create an environment that nurtures the inhabitants. It then becomes 'art' in the eye of the beholder. Every once in a while (like maybe once every year or two), I'll add or remove my plants (they're all fake) and add or remove decorations and/or rocks because I like to see changes once in a while. However, from what I've learned on this website, since many cichlids create their territories, making large scale changes frequently can be quite disruptive to the inhabitants, particularly those that have staked out their territories. I guess its best to pick a theme with the needs of the inhabitants in mind, then go with it. I kinda like the "red rocks, CO" or stonehedge looks for rocky tanks.

Bottom line is to do what appeals to you and the tanks inhabitants.

frankoq

Members
This was your tank before I sold it to Eric, i still have a lot of these rocks if you need some more

Thanks. Not a fan of that look. I like the granite black rocks on white sand. I'll keep playing with them to make them less "square" :p

olzkool

Members
Looks like a good start Frank. Its gonna be nice. I know I gave you way more rocks as that lol. If you are not sure about your current setup, look to the rule of thirds or "Golden Ratio". For some whatever unexplained reason it is more appealing to the human eye. Most art, photography, architecture etc. has been done that way for years. Make a pile, put a large rock, something that sticks out at one of the thirds. Kinda like where I have my big rocks in the tank in the living room. If you need some big ones just come back up and help yourself.

frankoq

Members
Looks like a good start Frank. Its gonna be nice. I know I gave you way more rocks as that lol. If you are not sure about your current setup, look to the rule of thirds or "Golden Ratio". For some whatever unexplained reason it is more appealing to the human eye. Most art, photography, architecture etc. has been done that way for years. Make a pile, put a large rock, something that sticks out at one of the thirds. Kinda like where I have my big rocks in the tank in the living room. If you need some big ones just come back up and help yourself.

Thanks Chris. I'm redoing it but wow... this is the hardest part of all my journey. LOL.
Yes, I left several pieces out and will play around for a good set up for the critical eyes and the comfort of the fishies.

olzkool

Members
It took me forever. I laid it all out on a foam board the same size as the tank 100 different ways. Took pictures, asked for opinions, then ultimately did it different then my original plan. Its pains taking but when you are done its worth it. Here is the most important thing: You have to like it. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks cause you are the one looking at it all the time.

frankoq

Members
All the fish are now in the 180! woohoo!
one benga got injured in the eye(cornea tear). Not sure if that was done when moving the fish or if he was attacked.
I just need a couch in front of the tank so I can rest watching them swim. :)