• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fluval FX5 filter problem

rap148

Members
I have a fluval FX5 filter, up until recently it has been working great, now it is constantly filling with air. The intake is not near any air source, there are no apparant holes or leaks in any of the fittings, It's getting air into the filter somehow. Anyone have any ideas on how to correct this?

Thanks

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I don't have an FX5, but have had a bunch of canister filters. Air coming into the canister is generally a sign of a slight gasket leak.

I'd try taking it apart, removing the gaskets and putting a tiny amount of Vasoline on each of them. This typically does the trick.

Not 100% sure it will work, but worth a shot.

I used to have air troubles with Fluval 404s all the time - kept a handful of gaskets on hand, just in case. Sometimes I was able to just shake the air out of the canister and everything would right itself.

I don't have an FX5, but have had a bunch of canister filters. Air coming into the canister is generally a sign of a slight gasket leak.

I'd try taking it apart, removing the gaskets and putting a tiny amount of Vasoline on each of them. This typically does the trick.

Not 100% sure it will work, but worth a shot.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
ON THOSE FX5'S YOU ALSO HAVE TO TIGHTEN THE SCREW CLAMPS DOWN EVENLY LIKE YOU WOULD A CAR TIRE LUGNUT. ALWAYS DO THE ONE ACROSS FROM THE ONE YOU JUST DID TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE ALL DONE EVENLY. THIS HAPPENED TO ME ONCE BUT I WAS GLAD IT WAS SIMPLE TO FIX. LASTLY IT IS FILLED WITH WATER WHEN YOU TURN IT ON RIGHT? IF NOT MAKE SURE ITS FULL OF WATER WHEN YOU TURN IT ON.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
In my experience, it was never due to actual air getting in. It was a result of a sponge or media clogging all of the holes within the center of one of the three baskets. This resulted in a decreased flow and a constant "burping" of the filter. Open it up and check it out.

rap148

Members
I'll have to call AAA for the tire change LOL. Thanks, everyone, I'll start with checking all the o rings and put some o ring lube on them.