• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fluval C-Series and Quantum Aquatics T6 bulbs

Hawkman2000

Members
I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Fluval C-Series HOBs. From what I have seen online, they seem to be the most awesome HOB ever made. The price is also unbelievably low as well.

Also wondering if anyone has tried the Quantum Aquatics T6 bulbs. Not much information is available on these, and all I can find on Google searches is people asking questions. Apparently the are a cross between T8 and T5, and are supposed to increase output by 30-60% while using a standard T8 or T12 fixture. I should know more about this myself with my electrical background, but we never use T6.

Any info or comments would be appreciated.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I haven't seen the c- series filters. I'd be interested to know if they are as effective and quiet as the aquaclears.

Hawkman2000

Members
The reviews I have watched on utube look fantastic. 5 stage filtration with wet/dry. It uses the same motor as the ACs so it should be pretty good. I'd just like to hear from someone who has been using one for a while.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Wet/dry would be a big turn off for me from a noise perspective. To me, wet/dry=trickling water=noise (and the urge to pee every time I go near the tank). I'd still like to hear from someone who has one in use.

Hawkman2000

Members
From what I understand, the wet dry section of the filter is very quiet. In one of the videos the guy states that it is more quiet than any other filter he has had.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
The guy?

The 12-year old or the other one? If it were such a clever design it would come with an external pre-filter. One can go for months without any need to clean internal filter media by using them.

Five stage filtration? Right. Only of you count three separate stages for what a fine mesh filter does by itself for three of their stages (coarse and fine particulate, and biological). Am sure it's a decent filter but by my way of thinking simplicity is king, and from what I can tell that's clearly with the ACs.

I notice they're spinning that BS about regular replacement of certified filter media to ensure optimal performance (read as "buy our cartridges twice monthly"). Seems one should never need to replace media on something that's designed properly, which is what one has by my way of thinking if you swap out the carbon bag for a bag of lave rock in the ACs and double the amount of ceramic rings. Also difficult to have much respect for a company that's basically encouraging needless consumption and perpetrating unscientific mythology among hobbyists.

The six and seven stage models will likely be available by someone ere long and they still won't do it any better than an AC with a foam pre-filter, although they will likely be even more complicated and require twice as many filter cartridge replacements. (Has anyone here ever replaced any media on an Aquaclear? I have some with 4-5 year old sponges and they don't show any sign of wear). The fact that the ACs have a bigger media chamber that additionally isn't filled with plastic frames, as well as a greater flow rate, makes it hard for me to see how the Fluvals are better filters if in fact even as good.

Hawkman2000

Members
As far as the media chamber size, doesn't having a wet dry provide better biological than submersed media, or is has that been debunked. It also appears to be the same as the ACs when comparing tank capacity ratings, and instead of using bags, it uses baskets. It also appears to be taller than the ACs to accommodate the media. I will say that the nice thing about the bags in the ACs is that you can just shake it it out in a bucket of tank water if necessary.

Also, I had to cut a small piece of 100 micron cloth for my AC20 to clear up my water, but since the surface area is so small in the AC design, it has to be cleaned every week. But on the C-series, the mechanical has a greater surface area so it should last allot longer. The fact the the mechanical can be removed without removing the biological is is very nice. And the mechanical is reusable (for awhile at least). Basically it looks like a Fluval 05/06, reshaped as an HOB, with a small wet/dry section. It looks like it uses the same motor as the ACs so it should be just as reliable.

I think I might try one. A new impeller for my 350 it 12$ while a new C4 is 30$. Plus, seeing if the removal of the water noise when I mute the TV will reduce how often my g-friend has to pee will be interesting.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Good price

Tempted to try one myself.

I have 3 AC 20s and since the flow rate is so low I find that one can use a fine-mesh sponge pre-filter to great effect without much risk of clogging up the works. Have about 15 HOBs of various brands and sizes and have simply taken to keeping extra foam pre-filters soaking so that I can just rotate in fresh ones whenever the ones in use get so packed with crud that flow rates start to drop. I generally rinse out the media inside the filters no more often than every few months - just doesn't need it.