• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fluval 306 Canister Issues

lestabbity

CCA Members
Hi! I have a fluval 306 that just isn't working and I don't know a lot about them so I'm not sure how to explain the problem.

It seems like the pump itself is clogged or failing, even when I use the manual pumping to fill it, it's kind of hit or miss on if it actually does anything or not.

I replaced the impeller and it's cover, and that helped for about a week, then it stopped again. Is there something else I should clean or check?

I don't know how much I can take it apart, and I have a lot of tools and creativity so I'm hesitant to just start dismantling it and then disassemble something that can't be put back together.

is it like the smaller filters where snails can get in and jam up the intake, even though I have a pretty fine pre-filter sponge, and I need to uncover the pump motor to clear away shell debris?

Is there some other problem I don't know to look for that I can check?

Full disclosure: I have NO idea how old this filter is, I got it used earlier this year and it's been working fine until now.

JLW

CCA Members
I'm not a big fan of Fluval's smaller filters for this exact reason. There's a few things to try if you haven't already.
Usually, the impeller and the cover are culprits -- but it sounds like you replaced them. Did you also get a new shaft for the impeller, including the little rubber thingy that holds it in place? They get worn down over time.

Check your tubes, and make sure there's no clog in them anywhere. Make sure they're full of clean water when you start it (well, the output doesn't matter if its full or not. :) Make sure that the intake screen is clear, including the stupid ball that is inside of it. They get build up, get wedged, and don't work.

Next, you'll want to check the little rubber connector between the intake tube and the hose. Over time, they harden, and then you don't get a good seal, and it'll slurp air, breaking the syphon.

If all that fails, it may be that the impeller went bad and kind of wallered out the impeller well, in which case you're FUBAR and will need to replace it.

This is one of the many, many reasons you won't find a Fluval (other the the FX series) in my house. I use the Cobalt EXT filters, which are (unfortunately) out of stock for the foreseeable future.

lestabbity

CCA Members
Thanks for the thorough troubleshooting! I got my canister filters secondhand, so I don't know much about them yet!