• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fishroom Ideas!

zackcrack00

Members
So my family is probably moving this summer; the house we are trying to buy has a huge basement that my mom is giving me for my own fishroom! I know it stands 5'6" tall, and is very wide so no lack of space for my tanks. To keep things organized, I will have multiple bins labeled as things like "sponge filters" "heaters" or "airline and pumps". Is this a good idea? Also, I need to know how to not spend too much on stands. Tanks I will have are: 29g, 10g, 5g, and a 75g and a 90g (but I already have a stand that holds both of the latter tanks). For my setup, I am thinking of doing mostly angelfish, livebearers, and a few discus pairs if the water is right. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Sweet, Congrats!
I just got done building a rack maybe something like a wooden rack with the 29 on bottom then smaller tanks up top you could even try to include storage(always a great idea)
Do you know if you'll have easy access to a drain In the basement? That might determine your set up.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
thats awesome! My parents also recently let me start a fishroom. Maybe you could do a couple apisto pairs or bn variants, your tanks are the perfect size.
As for stands either build your own or buy'em used

Becca

Members
Zack, you better stop eating so you don't outgrow your fish room!

I'm short, and I'd only have 2" clearance in that room!

Congratulations, and stay young, my friend!

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Zack, you better stop eating so you don't outgrow your fish room!

I'm short, and I'd only have 2" clearance in that room!

Congratulations, and stay young, my friend!

Lol I think it's too late he is probably outgrowing it as we speak.

Zack is there away to find out if its a drop ceiling or unfinished or is that just the part if the basement you can put the room in... (Anymore details) Becca just made me think that it sounds low I'm 5'10"
Just double checking

daninmd

Members
how many tanks are you doing? might be cheaper to buy a heater and heat the whole room than to heat individual tanks.

npbarca

Members
You have to have some idea. If you will eventually have quite a few tanks, then I would install a central air system now. It is not cost efficient or just efficient in general to keep adding individual tanks with lots of individual heaters and filters with a lot of different air pumps, especially if you plan to add more.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I agree
A central filtration system like a big sump or a huge air pump would be cheapest. Im planning on ordring a big air pump and sponges for mine so I dont need to keep adding and adding filters when I get more tanks

Becca

Members
You don't have to use individual heaters if you use a thermostatically controlled space heater. Basements are usually pretty well insulated, so that could work well.

fish

Banned
You don't have to use individual heaters if you use a thermostatically controlled space heater. Basements are usually pretty well insulated, so that could work well.

Agreed. If he wants a well run fish room with "unlimited" tanks as he said affording heaters for each tank will not be cost effective.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Do you have a larger room you might be able to make your fishroom? I just dont think that hight will work well in the end.