• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fish Less Cycling

johns51

Members
I just recently did a fish less cycle on my 75 gallon tank using household ammonia and everything went fine. Have all the fish transferred and water is good and he fish are doing well.

I am now doing the cycling on my 125 and experiencing something I did not experience on the 75.

Is it normal for the water to become cloudy and stay cloudy during the cycling?

I am about 6 days in. Started off treating the water with dechlorinator and then 4 hours later put Dr. Tim's nitrifing bacteria. 24 hours later started adding ammonia at a rate of 5 drops per 10 gallons of water every 24 hours.

Ammonia right now is at 1PPM and no measurable nitrites. Filters are 2 aquaclear 110's ( one at each end) running just the sponge filter and bio balls. I also have a power head set up in between the two filters to help agitate/oxygenate the water during the cycling. I have the water temp at 80 degrees.

Just a bit concerned as the 75 stayed really clear during the whole cycle.

John

MonteSS

Members
Cloudy water is sometimes a sign of an uncycled tank with high amonia levels. This obviously is your case and what you atr trying to achieve. It will clear up as the cycle progresses and not worry about it.

I would bump up the amonia level to 5ppm.

Ammonia used should be free of surfactants, perfumes, and colorants. It should not foam up when you shake it. Only place I have ever found this type is at hardware stores.

...Bill

johns51

Members
Thanks Bill.

The ammonia I have is free of perfumes and suffactants. had a difficult time finding it and even then wasn't sure until I did the shake test.

I thought that this might be the case but since it didn't happen in the 75 wasn't sure.

John