firemouths w/ gymnogeo australis

dlfn1

Members
currently the firemouths and the gymnos are in different tanks, though i wanted to know if i could combine them.
i have 6 firemouths about 3 inches and 10 gymno australis 2-3 inches, could i put them together in a 40 breeder?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I think you may be better off keeping them separated. I think the gymnos appreciate cooler water temps. Plus, your FM's will eventually get crowded in a 40 breeder and will start to beat on each other. I had 4 in a 180 (with a bunch of other fish) and the FMs would constantly be battling. They paid no mind to the other fish in the tank.

dlfn1

Members
hmmm, i figured, but thought maybe. ok, separate they will remain.
i do have a 90 gal that the firemouths can go in. it is currently empty in my garage.
jon, what other fish were in w/ your firemouths??

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I had them in with severums, convicts, a chocolate, a blue acara and a few others that I can't remember now. I don't know if I just had the incredible luck of picking out four males when I got them at around 1.5". I had them for about 6 months and just got tired of them always fighting amongst themselves when I sold them. I probably would have had better luck if I only kept a single in the tank.

The FM's were probably the smallest fish in the tank when I had them and they really didn't pay attention to anything else that was in the tank although I agree with Matt that the gymnos are not robust enough to keep up with the FMs. I would put the FM's in your 90 and maybe add another species or two to the tank. You could do a pair of cons or cutteri and a single larger fish or two to fill out the tank. If/when your FM's pair up, I would pull the other firemouths out so they don't get harassed to death.