• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Filtration change?

Becca

Members
I'm thinking about swapping out my Eheim 2217 for 2 Aquaclear filters. The tank has play sand and fish that dig. The pre-filter gets filled with silt weekly and the filter has to be cleaned more often than I've ever had to do with a canister filter. This means I've got a mess on my hands every couple of months.

I've had great experiences with Eheims, but I think this tank would be better off with HOB filtration. It's just much easier to perform maintenance on those filters.

I'm debating whether to go with 2 AC 50's (Fluval 200) or 2 AC 70's (Fluval 300).

Thoughts?

Becca

Members
I would go with the 70's, I have read that you can never have too much filtration.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

I'd generally agree. I have to get a look at them for size, though. If the push the tank out from the wall more than the 50's, that may be an issue. If they're just wider or deeper than the 50's, it doesn't make a difference.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Pretty sure that 70s are deeper than 50s, but not positive. I'd opt for the 70s myself. I run dual 70s on my 40 breeders.

lkelly

Members
You need a minimum of 3" space between the tank and wall for a 50 and about 4" for a 70.

I have also found that the size of the tank frame can sometimes make the AC filters sit a little funny. If the frame width is a little too wide, the U shaped tube has trouble spanning the gap. Also, the filter may not sit down completely causing the returned water to shoot out near the back edge of the glass lid. You didn't mention a tank size...

I have a 50 that barely sits on a 75 gallon tank (the frame is almost too wide for the U tube). I found that 70s don't sit down as flush as they could on a 75 so the water return has a chance at hitting the edge of the glass lid.

Becca

Members
Just found this link - http://blog.petsolutions.com/fish/comparison-chart-for-aquarium-hang-on-power-filters/

Looks like the 70's will add an extra 4" to the back of the tank and the 50's will add an extra 3". The tank already sits about 2.5" off the wall, so the 50's probably produce the least amount of difference, however I've still got about an inch on the front of the stand, so I could slide the tank forward on the stand (it's a full cabinet) and that'd minimize the difference between the two.

Either option would be over-filtration. I guess I may as well start by seeing if anyone wants to trade.

Becca

Members
You need a minimum of 3" space between the tank and wall for a 50 and about 4" for a 70.

I have also found that the size of the tank frame can sometimes make the AC filters sit a little funny. If the frame width is a little too wide, the U shaped tube has trouble spanning the gap. Also, the filter may not sit down completely causing the returned water to shoot out near the back edge of the glass lid. You didn't mention a tank size...

I have a 50 that barely sits on a 75 gallon tank (the frame is almost too wide for the U tube). I found that 70s don't sit down as flush as they could on a 75 so the water return has a chance at hitting the edge of the glass lid.

It's a 55 gallon.

mchambers

Former CCA member
What size is the tank?

Also, I might have an extra AC 70, if you're looking to get rid of the 2217. I think it needs a new impeller, however.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Yes, I understand. I just meant that we could work something out. Didn't mean to suggest a one for one swap.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Make sure not to put extra extensions on the lift tube. If you add any to get the water from lower in the tank you will also get sand when they spit. Keep the tubes high. Sand in the Aquaclear motor will make a lot of noise.

My grow out tank reminds me of Finding Nemo. The fish seem to enjoy picking up sand with the food and spitting it out near the intake tube.
Drives me crazy LOL

Becca

Members
Make sure not to put extra extensions on the lift tube. If you add any to get the water from lower in the tank you will also get sand when they spit. Keep the tubes high. Sand in the Aquaclear motor will make a lot of noise.

My grow out tank reminds me of Finding Nemo. The fish seem to enjoy picking up sand with the food and spitting it out near the intake tube.
Drives me crazy LOL

Yeah, this is part of why I'm considering a change. It's a PITA to trim the lift tube for the Eheim. I've done it once, but it still picks up sand, even with a prefilter on.