• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fighting "Dry Hand Syndrome"

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
I had a customer call me the other day regarding some issues that he was having with his fabulously-equipped, obscenely expensive 300 gallon mixed reef system. He’s got the usual littany of tech toys that scare off many freshwater folks making the switch to the "reef" side of the game- high end European protein skimmer, dosing system, biopellet reactor, turbo-charged external powerheads, and an electronic controller that would make NASA jealous. Seemed like all was good and that he should be at the top of his game with his 15k plus investment in this tank. (click to read more)

Last edited by a moderator:

dogofwar

CCA Members
Amen, Scott!

I find that a lot of the enjoyment that I derive from keeping fish has to do with actually maintaining them. The regular process of (mostly) manually maintaining tanks is a pleasant departure from sitting on my arse all day in an office. Siphoning and re-filling tanks, cleaning filters, etc. puts me in direct contact with each tank and its inhabitants. I know if they're healthy, ready to breed, under the weather, etc. Not from a test...but by looking at them.

There was a thread on MFK where are guy was trying to build a completely maintenance free 300g discus tank. He spent tens of thousands when a Python, an air pump and some sponge filters (or a sump) a heater and a controller would have been far superior. The thread was never finished, leading me to believe that he moved on.

Matt

Termato

Board of Directors
Great title, great article. If I can keep my hands dry even one day while keeping fish then there is something wrong. Here is my little story of a situation I put myself in that is very similar to the one you've posted:

I went through a short period where I wasn't doing very good maintenance on my big tanks. I had already been keeping fish for a while and had some really steady mature tanks going. In the end, the tanks could have been taken care of so much better and I ended up losing 2 angels, 1 zebra plec, 3 cories, and 1 severum due to related issues. I'm still mad at myself for losing all those fish on account of my neglect. This had happened because I had taken in 2 tanks full of donated fish that people couldn't keep. This happened within the span of about 3-4 months. I was originally excited at first to get these free fish. Eventually, I just found it to be a lot of work for fish I wasn't that interested in (the common pleco).

I had a friend who was moving and couldn't find someone to take care of their fish and he couldn't take it with him. I took his fish in to care for them because there was literally no other option. I was really excited about getting to keep their angelfish, smaller zebra pleco, and a few other tiny fish. One was a full grown common pleco and all these fish were in a 90G tank. I felt really bad for the plec and I bought a 150G tank just for him. I didn't have more space at the time so I couldn't go bigger.

I loved them all, but I couldn't keep a planted tank with that giant pleco and the bio load was too insane. My vacuum couldn't suck up their plec's poop because it was too large. It was very hard to keep the pleco in the setup I had.

The second tank full of fish I took in was from a 75G tank with severum cichlids and guess what...another big sailfin common pleco (this one was about 9-11")

Eventually, this led to me slacking off because it was really hard to maintain that 150G with the giant plecs in there. At one point, I felt very similar to how you described the guy in the article feeling. Like the tank would just take care of itself and I forgot about it. This didn't last too long because I ended up moving and that was a blessing. I ended up rehoming the majority of the fish I didn't want to keep, especially the giant 2 foot pleco.

Once I moved, I stocked that 150G with fish I've always wanted to keep but never had--discus.

I've never been happier with my fish or my tanks. I don't have any rare fish, but it's just the fact that I love looking at them that pushes me to take care of them. After getting fish I really cared about, I've found myself truly motivated to keeping the best quality tank possible. Especially with the challenge of keeping discus, I'm on top of everything that happens now.

The advice you gave at the end of the article is the true key to keeping good fish. Spend time with them and get yours hands wet! Just by doing that the emotional connection you have with your fish will grow and you wont even be able to consider not caring for them properly. I had to learn the hard way but I'm thankful for the experience because of what I know now.

Last edited:

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
Great title, great article. If I can keep my hands dry even one day while keeping fish then there is something wrong. Here is my little story of a situation I put myself in that is very similar to the one you've posted:

I went through a short period where I wasn't doing very good maintenance on my big tanks. I had already been keeping fish for a while and had some really steady mature tanks going. In the end, the tanks could have been taken care of so much better and I ended up losing 2 angels, 1 zebra plec, 3 cories, and 1 severum due to related issues. I'm still mad at myself for losing all those fish on account of my neglect. This had happened because I had taken in 2 tanks full of donated fish that people couldn't keep. This happened within the span of about 3-4 months. I was originally excited at first to get these free fish. Eventually, I just found it to be a lot of work for fish I wasn't that interested in (the common pleco).

I had a friend who was moving and couldn't find someone to take care of their fish and he couldn't take it with him. I took his fish in to care for them because there was literally no other option. I was really excited about getting to keep their angelfish, smaller zebra pleco, and a few other tiny fish. One was a full grown common pleco and all these fish were in a 90G tank. I felt really bad for the plec and I bought a 150G tank just for him. I didn't have more space at the time so I couldn't go bigger.

I loved them all, but I couldn't keep a planted tank with that giant pleco and the bio load was too insane. My vacuum couldn't suck up their plec's poop because it was too large. It was very hard to keep the pleco in the setup I had.

The second tank full of fish I took in was from a 75G tank with severum cichlids and guess what...another big sailfin common pleco (this one was about 9-11")

Eventually, this led to me slacking off because it was really hard to maintain that 150G with the giant plecs in there. At one point, I felt very similar to how you described the guy in the article feeling. Like the tank would just take care of itself and I forgot about it. This didn't last too long because I ended up moving and that was a blessing. I ended up rehoming the majority of the fish I didn't want to keep, especially the giant 2 foot pleco.

Once I moved, I stocked that 150G with fish I've always wanted to keep but never had--discus.

I've never been happier with my fish or my tanks. I don't have any rare fish, but it's just the fact that I love looking at them that pushes me to take care of them. After getting fish I really cared about, I've found myself truly motivated to keeping the best quality tank possible. Especially with the challenge of keeping discus, I'm on top of everything that happens now.

The advice you gave at the end of the article is the true key to keeping good fish. Spend time with them and get yours hands wet! Just by doing that the emotional connection you have with your fish will grow and you wont even be able to consider not caring for them properly. I had to learn the hard way but I'm thankful for the experience because of what I know now.

AWESOME feedback, and great information! Truly important and inspirational! It's gratifying to see the success hobbyists can achieve by just doing stuff...Thanks for sharing!

-Scott

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Always love your articles
This is why I got rid of my reef. Everything is so expensive and complicated. Then you get reef keepers on forums saying that you need all this stuff. Just wasnt my cup of tea.You know you got a problem when you spend more on a 29 then you do on a 300

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
Amen, Scott!

I find that a lot of the enjoyment that I derive from keeping fish has to do with actually maintaining them. The regular process of (mostly) manually maintaining tanks is a pleasant departure from sitting on my arse all day in an office. Siphoning and re-filling tanks, cleaning filters, etc. puts me in direct contact with each tank and its inhabitants. I know if they're healthy, ready to breed, under the weather, etc. Not from a test...but by looking at them.

There was a thread on MFK where are guy was trying to build a completely maintenance free 300g discus tank. He spent tens of thousands when a Python, an air pump and some sponge filters (or a sump) a heater and a controller would have been far superior. The thread was never finished, leading me to believe that he moved on.

Matt

I sometimes think the best piece of equipment for hobbyists is the siphon hose!

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
Always love your articles
This is why I got rid of my reef. Everything is so expensive and complicated. Then you get reef keepers on forums saying that you need all this stuff. Just wasnt my cup of tea.You know you got a problem when you spend more on a 29 then you do on a 300

Thanks so much for the kind words...I agree, I've had friends and customers who spend scary amounts of money on small planted tanks! I love the hell out them, though, but it is funny to watch when it's not YOUR money, lol.

-Scott