• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Feeding Oscar

marya

Members
Ok I have a random silly question. What do you do if your oscar can't catch the feeders?

My husband has an oscar. We have never given him smaller fish to eat for fear of disease.
Late last year I started a colony of Endler's. They are breeding like...well, like Endler's, and as anyone who has been to the PVAS auctions knows the market in these parts is beyond saturated. Since I've had them for so long and they're thriving and healthy I decided to give them as a treat to the oscar now and again. The problem is, he can't catch the %$^% things. He's almost a year old and has never had to catch anything other than a block of cichlid chow, so is it just that he's out of practice and he'll eventually get better? ...Or do I need to kill them first then put them in there... :huh: There aren't many places to hide, the tank is an 80gal and the only thing in there is a huge pot. They have started hiding beneath the pot now, but even when they were just scrambling around in the open he couldn't get near them.
He REALLY wants to eat them, but they're way to fast for his fat butt... :rolleyes: I think he's getting frustrated.

L

Larry-T

The Oscar is not built for speed. Earthworms, prawns, and pellets are better foods.

marya

Members
Oscar isn't built for speed?! No way! He looks so svelte and streamlined... :p j/k lol, thanks for the reply.

Our Oscar is actually already on a good balanced diet of prepared foods, and isn't nutritionally in need of any new stuff. The only reason I wanted to give him the endlers is because they are breeding faster than I can find people who would want them.