• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Feeding Grasshoppers to Fish

Everytime I walk our dog I notice there are literally hundreds of Grasshoppers in our yard. I was wondering, would they would be a good food source for large cichlids?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I wouldn't see a problem with it as long as your fish are big enough to eat them. I have been feeding the stink bugs that I find in the house to my big new world tank and they love them.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
All American species are non-toxic to mammals far as I know, as well as

...as wel as birds, lizards and reptiles. Are some poisonous ones in Africa, but yours should be okay. Try it. Might want to let them finish digesting/purging for a few hours before you throw them in the tank though. They have no reservations about regurgitating whatever is in their stomach when stressed, and like most herbivorous species (and a large number of omnivorous bipeds), are mostly full of s**t.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
I FEED THEM TO MINE AND THEY LOVE THEM AS WELL AS THE STINKBUGS. JUST BREAK THE HIND LEGS SO THEY'RE HIND LEGS A LITTLE SO THEY CAN'T SWIM TO THE SIDES AND CRAWL OUT.

Spine

Members
I would only collect them from places that you know haven't been treated with anything (pesticides etc.)