• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Feeding Corys

Beeman

Members
Simple question from a simple minded fool! How do you all assure that your bottom-dwellers are getting a well-rounded diet? When I feed live or frozen food, all other occupants of my community tank clean it up like living vacuum cleaners. I do drop sinking pellets after dark, but that offers a very limited diet. I err on the side of caution by feeding flake-food 'lightly'. So. . . . who does what? Many thanks in advance folks. This 'back into the art of fish culture guy' finds this forum AWESOME!!!:jumpy:

Plenipotentiary-at-large
More is more.

I keep about 15 species of Corydoras/Scleromystax and if they don't eat I'm not done feeding. The cichlids, etc. that are in with them are largely of secondary interest to me so sometimes I'll feed flake first so the more ravenous types get somewhat satiated before dropping in the good stuff which assures that the scavengers eat well.

If the food is apparently all gone in 5-10 minutes you're doing well, and your fish as well. Thus do I imagine.

What catfish do you have?

Beeman

Members
Just peppered corys at the moment. I had never been a fan of corys in the past, but purchased these guys as 'expendable' when I started up my new tank. But, I have had a HUGE change of heart! These little guys are great! Can all the different varieties of corys be mixed together without problems? Am in the slow process of setting up a 90(or 120 if I can slip it past my wife), and want a nice grouping of corys.

verbal

CCA Members
Can all the different varieties of corys be mixed together without problems?
I think there are some species that are too closely related. The problem would be potential hybridization.

Am in the slow process of setting up a 90(or 120 if I can slip it past my wife), and want a nice grouping of corys.

Unless you are really cramped for space, you can probably get a 120 in place of a 90. Getting it in addition might be a different story(not that it isn't worth a try :) ).

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Hybrids very unlikely

Happens but not common. Never seen it myself, only read about it, really not clear why it would be a "problem" if it did occur, as "problem" in this context seems to be entirely subjective.

Have kept as many as 5-6 Corydoras species together without incident, would personally love to see the physical characteristics of any such crosses.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I agree that different varieties of corys can be kept without problem. I have no idea if hybrids are possible -- there is much debate about this on the interwebs. We had a thread on this here some months back:

http://www.capitalcichlids.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9093&highlight=hybrid+cory

You want to have each type of cory in a big enough group, however. I'd say get at least 8 of a variety.

Also, remember that some corys have different temperature needs than others. I haven't kept paleatus, but I think it likes cooler water than most corys. Sterbai, on the other hand, likes warmer water. www.planetcatfish.com and www.scotcat.com have very good information on the needs of different corys.