• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

favorite lfs

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I have always gone to congressional for almost all my fish needs. Their prodocts are a little on the pricey side but the fish are great quality. All of their employees are nice and knowledgable. I was once waiting for greg (manager) because I needed a power head fixed and while I was waiting in line this employee that I have never met before walks up to me and fixes the powerhead for free. A lot of times when I'm looking for something specific, I can look at Sun Pet's (their supplier) website, and if I see some thing cool, I can tell greg what I want and he'll add it to the order and reserve it for me.

So what is your favorite lfs?

zackcrack00

Members
By far: Rick's Fish and Pet Supply Frederick, MD. I like the vast selection of fish, and the prices are a little high, but you almost NEVER see dead fish in any of there tanks. I go there for fish and supplies, and Rick usually trades me fish and supplies for my juveniles.

Becca

Members
I still love Tropical Lagoon. They sometimes have the "oddball" fish I love so much and their stock is always healthy. I want to like congressional, but there are always so many sick and dead fish in their tanks that it's hard.

I recently revisited House of Tropicals and was pleasantly surprised with what I found there. Huge selection and decent prices, particularly on plants. I just wish it was closer.

Owens

Members
I get pretty much all my fish from hobbyists, but if you can get past the **** head owner, greenbelt brings in allot of rare stuff

Sent from my VS840 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Forester

Members
+1 on tropical lagoon and the owner, Steve is very nice and knowledgeable.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mchambers

Former CCA member
I like all three

I still love Tropical Lagoon. They sometimes have the "oddball" fish I love so much and their stock is always healthy. I want to like congressional, but there are always so many sick and dead fish in their tanks that it's hard.

I recently revisited House of Tropicals and was pleasantly surprised with what I found there. Huge selection and decent prices, particularly on plants. I just wish it was closer.
I see dead fish at all fish stores.

I was at Congressional and Tropical Lagoon this morning, and saw a few dead fish at each. Got very good help at Congressional and good help at Tropical Lagoon.

The prices on some fish at Congressional are a little high, for some fish, but for others they are fine.

House of Tropicals has the best selection in the area, but it is a long drive from DC.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I want to like congressional, but there are always so many sick and dead fish in their tanks that it's hard.

Thats true, but whenever there is a fish with some disease and I don't know it, greg will tell me.

Becca

Members
Thats true, but whenever there is a fish with some disease and I don't know it, greg will tell me.

I don't think I've actually ever bought a fish at Congressional, but we do visit frequently and their dry goods guys have been helpful with parts. It's true that there are dead fish at every store but I feel like when I go there I see an overwhelming number of whole tanks looking bad.

Last time I was there they had some really awesome tetras I'd never seen before, "Panda Tetras," but there were a couple dead plecos in the tank and a few more looking just terrible, so I didn't buy them. There might be just as many dead fish at other places and it could be that the staff are better about removing them immediately.