• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fathead minnows

Kaevas

CCA Members
I have a ton of minnows in my pond, and normally I wouldn’t think people would be that interested. They are fathead minnows (Pimephales promelas) according to my best knowledge, and I’ve a thriving school for maybe 10 years now in the backyard.

I got them to go with the koi, and they eat mosquito larvae like it’s going out of style.

They are also a native fish to Maryland, so I figured it would be topical!

If people are interested, I can bring some to the next CCA meeting. I know that they are usually used as feeder fish, and that’s life (at least you won’t be getting them from a Petco tank) but people may also want a hardy fish for ponds or other outdoor places that can handle MD winters with enough water depth.

Fraviz

Members
Yes... I can use a bag if you are going to the next meeting. Not to be a downer but they are also good bait for Crappie if someone fishes ..... a colony in my garage would be useful

Thanks