• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

face rot??

JasonC

Members
okay... so was just out of town for a week, and came back home to one of my gymnogeos having a wierd face thing going on... half of it has turned black... straight down the vertical dividing line down his "nose", etc, then around back around his gill cover... it does not extend down to the lower jaw.

Just odd... any ideas? Was thinking maybe he was watching Phantom of the Opera while I was gone... but... well.. yeah.

I'm stumped...

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Has it just turned black or is there a wound? I've heard of other fish with the half black face and most say it is some sort of nerve damage.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I've had Gymngeos break down like that before, especially if they don't get a cool down in the winter....

Matt

JasonC

Members
hmm.. nerve damage? thats definitely a new one to me... what are the usual suspects for cause? He/she is the runt of the pack.. could be from receiving too much agression? Matt, thanks for the heads up on lack of a cooldown being a potential cause.. they are currently unheated in the basement... mid 60's for air temp. Definitely glad that this seems to be a non contageous thing, but is it fatal, or will he/she be bragging about their "wicked scar" for the rest of their lives?

I'll see if I can get a pic tonight or tomorrow AM.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I had it happen to a wild angel. Saw it every now and again while working at tfw too. If you google it you will find many have encountered the same situation.

i had this happen to one of my fish earlier this year. basically in my case from the end of his anal fin throughout the entire tail section had turn completely black but there was NO indiction of of any damage he was able to continue to swim perfectly fine. when i posted his pic and asked for info everyone thought was nerve damage. i just noticed about 2 weeks he has turned back to his normal color patten.