• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

F1 Peru Green Sevs for Sale

dogofwar

CCA Members
I have a limited number of Peru Green Severums (Heros appendicularis) for sale.

These are ~1" offspring from my wild pairs.

Don't have any pics but these guys have nice red color on the bottom half of their bodies...

Anyway, $3 each or 6/$15... Deals for members and those who buy other stuff...

I'm in Potomac, MD near 270 exit 5.

PM me if you'd like some.

Thanks,
Matt

jonclark96

Past CCA President
They aren't rotties. The parents don't have the red around the neck, but have some nice oranges along the bottom.

neut

Members
Trouble with severum classifications is the 'correct' name can depend on which taxonomic expert's book you read and further downline from the taxonomic experts it can get even more confused. But I've often seen H. appendiculatus called 'turquoise severum' and this is it according to fishbase.org (a taxonomic registry). Not rotkeil, though some people could confuse them, maybe.

I often see rotkeils listed as Heros sp. rotkeil (they're not yet officially classified) and sometimes see them listed as Heros efasciatus 'Rotkeil'. So, as far as I understand it, dogofwar has it right.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I don't have it right, Juan Miguel (who runs CRC does :)).

He has Rotkiels as an undescribed species..
Heros sp. 'red shoulders'

Matt

Trouble with severum classifications is the 'correct' name can depend on which taxonomic expert's book you read and further downline from the taxonomic experts it can get even more confused. But I've often seen H. appendiculatus called 'turquoise severum' and this is it according to fishbase.org (a taxonomic registry). Not rotkeil, though some people could confuse them, maybe.

I often see rotkeils listed as Heros sp. rotkeil (they're not yet officially classified) and sometimes see them listed as Heros efasciatus 'Rotkeil'. So, as far as I understand it, dogofwar has it right.

toddnbecka

Members
Looks quite similar to this juvie, same species?
108-1.jpg

neut

Members
I don't have it right, Juan Miguel (who runs CRC does :)). [/B]

Matt
Fair enough. :happy0144:

As far as the official name of an undescribed variety, while I have a lot of respect for the guys at CRC, my writer/researcher/reporter mentality doesn't let me consider any of the names I've seen as official at this point when different sources are using different names. I've seen other cases where the popular or suggested 'official name' is forgotten or ignored once the fish is scientifically described. So I didn't mean to imply there was something official about the rotkeil names I listed; they're just the two I've most commonly seen. :)

Last edited:

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'm with ya...but if there's one place where they stay on top of these things better than the anywhere that I know...it's CRC.

So does anyone want any baby sevs?

Matt

Fair enough. :happy0144:

As far as the official name of an undescribed variety, while I have a lot of respect for the guys at CRC, my writer/researcher/reporter mentality doesn't let me consider any of the names I've seen as official at this point when different sources are using different names. I've seen other cases where the popular or suggested 'official name' is forgotten or ignored once the fish is scientifically described. So I didn't mean to imply there was something official about the rotkeil names I listed; they're just the two I've most commonly seen. :)

toddnbecka

Members
I want, but don't have anywhere to keep them when they grow out. I have 3 good-size reds and that younger green in the 125 now, don't think I can fit any more severums in there. The smaller green mostly stays out of the way of the bigger ones, but I'm still watching to make sure nobody gets beat up or stressed too much.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Bump - some of these guys are pushing 2" and really colorful.

I can bring to the next meeting...

Matt