• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Experimental Shots With Teleconverter For Fish

I rigged my 105mm micro lens with a 1.7 teleconverter to see how this setup would function. Actually, everything worked. The "VR" did it's job. However, the autofocus was useless because it was so slow. Manual focus was more practical. I also had to shoot at a higher aperture. Normally I would be shooting between f/18 to f/22. With this setup I had to go to f/12 to f/14. The experiment was fun and I think I can put this set up to some useful purpose. Like shooting fish that are camera shy. I can stand back four to ten feet further from the tank.

For those of you who don't understand what a teleconverter does, it basically extends the focal length of the lens. This lens is 105mm focal length by itself. Adding the 1.7 tc to it makes it a 178.5mm focal length lens. In other words, it magnifies 1.7 times more.

Anyway, here are some of the results.

L. Brevis from four to five feet away. Btw, no cropping...
15cLbrevisZebra030108.jpg

15bLbrevisZebra030108.jpg

A tiny bit of crop...
15aLbrevisZebra030108.jpg

And a group shot of the tropheus from ten feet away. Still no cropping...
25aTropheusRed030108.jpg

Then I tried doing some closeups. No cropping here either...
1aTroph030108.jpg

2aLBrevis030108.jpg

This is a closeup of a little troph juvi. I cropped this a tad to for composition purposes...
1bTroph030108.jpg