• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Enantiopus Sp. Kilesa

Charlutz

Members
What's the minimum tank footprint and group size for these sandsifters? Could I put a small group in a 40 breeder (36x18)?

maddog10

Members
You have actually named a species that I have NEVER even heard of. Now I have to look and see what an Enantiopus looks like! :smashfreakB:

Charlutz

Members
Have you seen Jewel of the Rift? They are the sand sifters near the end that cover the shallow sandy areas with their breeding pits or leks. The males are the nice shimmying, brightly colored targets for diving birds. I think my tank would be too small, but haven't ever kept them. Maybe 1 male or 2?

maddog10

Members
OK, did a little research. I have seen photos of these fish before but did not know what they were. Looks like they get a little large for a 36" tank. You could possibly keep 2 males in a 40 breeder (provided the fish do not kill each other and do not defended their pits aggressively with no females in the tank). You could probably keep 1 male and a couple females in a 4' tank but i think that will still be cramped quarters. The rule that I have inadvertently been following is 1 bower/pit per 6' tank. This gives females room to roam/hide if the male goes berserk.

Just me trying to apply common sense to keeping a fish that I have never kept, so take it for what it is worth. Beautiful fish though.

Charlutz

Members
I have a feeling the answer will probably be no. Not looking get any more tanks at the moment, but I wanted to give it a try. Not sure how aggressive they get to other males or to the females, or how quickly they grow.

D

daniel4832

Charlie,
I have a small group of 6 fish ranging from 2.5" to 3". I think I have two males and 4 females ( one "female" may be a male that is not coloring up). I have them in a 65 gallon, same dimentions as a 40 breeder, but when they get larger, 6", I will have to move them into at least 75 gallon, may have to put them into a 6' tank. I would think that any of the Featherfins would be problem since both fish use the same breeding areas. I'm planning on keeping a large group of Cyps with them.
Thanks,
Daniel

Charlutz

Members
I agree. The conflict with the featherfins is why I wasn't considering them for my big tank. How is the aggression between the males and/or the females?

D

daniel4832

I agree. The conflict with the featherfins is why I wasn't considering them for my big tank. How is the aggression between the males and/or the females?[/b]

At this point they just display at each other, but when I bred them before the males could get a bit nasty to each other, that why I will put them in a larger tank down the road.
I also remember the males chasing the females, but not doing them any damage.
Thanks,
Daniel

longstocking

Members
Never kept them but see them up at Julies all the time. Even in a 6 foot by 2 foot tank... she has problems. Hers are wild and LARGE

Charlutz

Members
Guess that settles it. Won't work in a small tank.

I don't remember seeing them at Julie's. Good thing, or I might've been tempted to try it.

longstocking

Members
If they weren't wilds you could probably get away with a 4 foot tank.... but anything smaller I think would be pushing it.

longstocking

Members
Not sure if she still has them or not. I just remember Myles, Julie and I having a discusion about them... what to do with the tank etc. They were in one of her top tanks.... so you have to really look up or get on a ladder.

I know Myles has some... if you are looking.