• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Empty 180 Options

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I am getting ready to completely overhaul my 180 and do something different. While I'm very excited to set something new up, its not what I'd choose if the budget weren't an issue.

If I had the choice, I'd do a tank with minimal scaping, mostly just sand and a few pieces of bogwood, filled with discus and a few stingrays.

What would you do if you had free choice?

After I hear some input, I'll describe what mine will actually be. (Hint: there is a thread in the 'New World' section about the keystone species.)

Andrew

Members
If I didn't have to worry about money, I'd probably do a saltwater reef tank.

FW wise I would probably do a school of Tanganyikan Killifish with Xenotilapia, Paracyprichromis and Phyllonemus cats.

verbal

CCA Members
So I assume you are building your tank around your pearsei.

I would start of with a mix of peaceful/moderately aggressive CA and SA cichlids. If you want to have some of the smaller ones, I would try and start with them bigger and plan to remove them when you need to reduce the numbers in the tank a little.

A true gourami might also be a cool fish in the tank. You could probably use Rainbow, large Barbs or giant danios as dithers.

I would look at medium sized plecos or if you go large probably go with Royal plecos, which take a while to get to their full-size.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
So I assume you are building your tank around your pearsei.

I would start of with a mix of peaceful/moderately aggressive CA and SA cichlids. If you want to have some of the smaller ones, I would try and start with them bigger and plan to remove them when you need to reduce the numbers in the tank a little.

A true gourami might also be a cool fish in the tank. You could probably use Rainbow, large Barbs or giant danios as dithers.

I would look at medium sized plecos or if you go large probably go with Royal plecos, which take a while to get to their full-size.
Yeah, thats the plan, and likely the exact route I'll go, but I was going to posta separate thread about that.

Just curious what people's hypothetical tank choices would be.

Andrew reminded me of something I've always wanted to try, but probably never will; Benthochromis tricoti.

Rasta Fish

Members
pearsei....Will this fish eat smaller fishes ?
I time i would get some of these fishes if this fish is a nice guy
Group of... geophagus altifrons or geophagus surinamensis
and Some ...... Gold Barbs or
Denison's Barb or arulius barbs
A Fire Mouth just to cut down on the breeding and tank hogging
A Green Terror... Maybe?
A group of Rainbow for Color ..

jonclark96

Past CCA President
The tank I wish I had room for now would be a pair of the wild caught amphilophus citrinellum that Jeff Rapps recently imported from Nicaragua. The tank bred versions pale in comparison to some of the markings that the wild fish have. I think it would be really cool to have a pair of 12" fish a untold number of fry swimming around.

dogofwar

CCA Members
If I ever get the thumbs up from The Boss for a tank in our living area, I'd like to do a 180g with lights hanging from the ceiling and open top.

A big pile of rocks in the center taller than the tank.

A group of a couple dozen Chilumba zebras...and maybe a similar-sized group of OB Labeotropheus fuelleborni...

If it was a tank larger than 180...then there are more options (a school of Paretroplus...)

Matt

You guys are in a rut!!!!!!!!!

With a tank that size -- a beautiful mound of lace rock with anubais scattered about on black sand with big pretty boy peacocks and haps and some s. multipunctatus

zebra7

Members
Hello Mike, I also vote for the Tricoti, great looking fish, with a peaceful disposition. They can be a bit nervous , but that can be cured with the addition of the right fish. At this time I have 2 wild trio's, 6-8 inches, with a dozen plus tri-color Cyps , 6 Ectodus Decampsii, and 8 Eretmodus Isanga neon spot, in a 150 gallon 6ft tank. It's a great looking tank, and the large Tricoti are at home. The only set back is the price tag on large Tricoti. I will tell you that small Tricoti at 2in. are one of the fastest growing Tanganiykan cichlids I've kept. They are voracious eaters, and will double their size in no time. Good luck with your decision. Anthony

zackcrack00

Members
I would do Malwai, idf it were my tank. I love malawi cichlids, and truly the only reason I'm in the hobby is for the breeding of fish!

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
You guys are in a rut!!!!!!!!!

With a tank that size -- a beautiful mound of lace rock with anubais scattered about on black sand with big pretty boy peacocks and haps and some s. multipunctatus
Funny, its all about perception... these are some of the fish coming out of the tank...currently shared with a group of petricola. The grass is sometimes greener on the other side.

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg