• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Emperor 400

johns51

Members
I have an Emperor 400 on my 75 ( I also have a fluval 405 )and the water flow is very low.

I took the filter apart cleaned everything and changed the filter media.

Flow is still real low.

Since there is really only one moving part on this filter it looks as though I need to replace the impeller but before ordering one I figure I better ask if anyone else has had this problem and how they fixed it.

I hate buying repair parts and still having the same problem, especially since the impeller is $12 plus shipping and I can get a new emperor 400 for around $50

Any advice would be appreciated.

John

F8LBITE

Members
Not a big fan of those. The filters clog quick and they spray bars clog, filters are expensive and the slightest bit of sand in the impeller housing will make a ton of noise. I would go Aquaclear 110 and be done.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Have you tried running it without any filter media? If the flow is still low without filter media, are you sure the intake tube is fully seated in the filter. I cleaned my tube last weekend, and noticed that when I first reassembled everything the tube was not all the way pushed down.

(I too like Aquaclears a little more than Emperors, but since you've got an Emperor, let's see if we can fix it.)

cmcpart0422

Members
Not a big fan of those. The filters clog quick and they spray bars clog, filters are expensive and the slightest bit of sand in the impeller housing will make a ton of noise. I would go Aquaclear 110 and be done.

I agree sell the 400 for $30 or so and put it towards an Aquaclear 110. Your going to pay more for the Ac but its the best hob filter on the market in my opinion. And the sponges last a long time in them. Trust me your going to save your self a lot of money and headaches if you just get rid of the 400 now and get the Aquaclear. I have had an emperor 400 before and I will never even consider getting another one. Good luck!

johns51

Members
I don't like the emperor either but it was what came with the aquarium when we bought it. I actually run AC's on the other 7 aquariums, but the emperor has been doing a great job up until this week.

Everything is seated/sealed as far as tubes go and the water flow is the same with or with out media.

I'm probably just going to go ahead and get an AC tonight and go from there.