• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Electrocution

chriscoli

Administrator
wow, so sorry! I also have all of my tanks on gfci, but sometimes it's not enough to trip it, I guess.

I recall working in one of my tanks for a while....rearranging the driftwood and being picky about placement so I had my arm in and out of the tank for a good 10 or 15 minutes, I'd guess. I kept bumping my arm into the shoplight hanging over the tank and every now and then would get a very very small zing. I thought it was just the corner of the metal poking me in the arm....then it got strong enough one time for me to notice that it was more than just a pinch from the metal. I freaked out and blamed the light, but after thinking about it, realized that since it didn't zap me every time, It must be the heater switching on and off. I pulled the heater from behind the mattenfilter and yep....cracked. The fish didn't seem any worse for it.

FishEggs

The Fish don't mind because they're not grounded. Just like birds sitting on power lines. Power strip surge protectors don't protect against ground faults just power surges.
I had the same thing happen to me as Christine. Had my arm in the tank cleaning it and my elbow hit the metal housing of my light and i got buzzed.

FYI. If it's a Marineland Stealth heater, they have been recalled and if you contact them, they will probably replace it with a new heater.

toddnbecka

Members
I have several old stealth heaters that developed electrical "leaks", really should box them up and send back for refunds. I'd notice when I reached into a tank and a hangnail would suddenly be mildly painful, but no other part of my hand reacted.
I even still have a stealth pro, the ones famous for exploding, new in the box. I'm thinking it might be a collector's item one day, lol.

Sonny Disposition

This is just one of the reasons why I try not to use heaters. Anyway, since you were able to say: "What was that?" You're ok. And it didn't bother the fish because they figured it out before you did. Glad you weren't hurt.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I have several old stealth heaters that developed electrical "leaks", really should box them up and send back for refunds. I'd notice when I reached into a tank and a hangnail would suddenly be mildly painful, but no other part of my hand reacted.
I even still have a stealth pro, the ones famous for exploding, new in the box. I'm thinking it might be a collector's item one day, lol.

Lol almost like having a mint cond Pinto.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app