• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Easy way to kill of fry?

MonteSS

Members
So the Nics spawned again and as much as I enjoy watching the parenting, I would like to destroy the babies now before thwy look like actual fish.

Besides hand removing the fish, is there a procedure or chemical way to euphanize the babies without harming the adults?

Thanks....Bill

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Predation

So the Nics spawned again and as much as I enjoy watching the parenting, I would like to destroy the babies now before thwy look like actual fish.

Besides hand removing the fish, is there a procedure or chemical way to euphanize the babies without harming the adults?

Thanks....Bill

Nothing like the classics - proven, natural and entertaining if you go in for that kind of thing. Large tetras would be quicker than the parents and are very efficient.

Drama in a box - just like the Coliseum.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Or add a catfish of the predatory sort. Pim pictus or the like will do.

You'll know your plan is working by the size of his tummy...

Matt

MonteSS

Members
Tank is only 36" but works for these bonded pairs.

Beautiful HRP Hybrid pair on left side and Adult Nic on the right. They meet at the center once in a while and flair but thats it.

Cat or tetras would get clobbered I think.

I will try a net and see if I can get a bunch.

Thanks....Bill

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Not your Mama's tetras

Columbian tetras are large, spry and a little piranha-like, believe they'd do just fine in there.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
You're absolutely right

A 36" tank doesn't allow for much forgiveness - really really cool that you've got such a dynamic equilibrium established in such a small space. May we see a picture?

MonteSS

Members
I know y'all have seen way too many of my vids, but you asked for it :)

Usually the fry swarm around their own parents. Tonight they are all over and intermingling. I doubt the parents know who is who. Most are from the old Nic pair.

Some of the HRP x Con hybrid males I have are bruisers. This guy is smaller and bluer but has great trailers. Must have more HRP than Con genes.

I would be easy to grab the fry where they are now, but its so fun to watch.

[YT]5vrxWvKVzLY[/YT]

Thanks....Bill

Last edited:

Plenipotentiary-at-large
That rocks

Excellent! Great cave by the way, what is it? Should we assume the female Nic spawns inside of it? Have to admire the way the HRP/Con not only stands up to but goes after its larger tankmates. Very cool when anything successfully spawns, cooler still when they can pull it off in a community tank, but the prize has to go to having more than one group of fry in a tank at the same time. I've only managed it a couple of times but never in such a small tank with such large fish. Very impressive.

Think it's time that CCA expands it's repertoire, to wit, a "Video of the Month" contest to accompany the POM. Are you seeing this Arlene? Maybe 30-60 second clips max - would doubtless result in some great submissions and allow us a much better glimpse into other members' aquatic activities as well as those of their fishy intimates. That's right, intimates - on occasion my fish see me in my birthday suit and as there are days when I talk to them more than other primates, I think it's an appropriate term.

In as much as I just totally set myself up to receive a torrent of sarcastic innuendo, I hope someone's got game.

MonteSS

Members
Thanks. The cave is a Design Elements boulder and is a great "love shack" and cheap. I think they damaged their dorsals from the cichlid stone, which they barely fit in, before I got them this bigger one. Yes she spawns in that cave. Odd that she keeps the fry in there a good two weeks before she lets them out to free swim.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/aquariu...quariums#!artificial-rocks-wood-for-aquariums

This tank sits on my computer desk, literally 1 foot from me. The Nics are pretty used to me but will flair at me occasionally if I put my face to the glass. On the other hand, when my mom walks in the room and is 20' away, the male flies at the glass and flares and displays at her LOL.

VOTM is a good idea. I dont have a great still cam and its hard to get the fish to stand still to get a decent shot. The HD vid cam is mush easier.

...Bill