• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Dwarf West Africans

Spine

Members
I was in Baltimore yesterday so I stopped by The House Of Tropicals on the way home.

They have 1-1½ Nanochromis Dimidiatus and Nanochromis parilus for $12

The Dimidiatus were labeled as "Congo Dimidiatus", I asked the owner about them and he said both species were wild caught.

The bottom line is, if they are W/C or not both these dwarf species are really cool.

aquaticclarity

CCA Members
PLEASE someone get some pictures of the dimidiatus. If they are the real deal and there are females in the mixed I'd love to get some if someone is willing to ship them to me...

Thanks,
Jeff

Lively

Members
Wine warning... stop here if you don't want to hear/read it... lol

Why is it all the cool fish seem to be in MD?? Oh, wait - I don't have a spare tank anyway... I need a new tank...

Anyone for some bleu with this whine?

Lively

Members
LOL - I think I should go feed these worms that have come crawling out of the can I opened to my FISH! lol

More like it's the only way you can the UBER COOL VIRGINIANS to cross the state line...;)

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
More like it's the only way you can the UBER COOL VIRGINIANS to cross the state line...;)
I think you use that as an excuse to come visit a place worth living... We don't look for reasons for Virginians to cross our line. It makes our traffic worse because you all forget about common road courtesy.

Lively

Members
I think you use that as an excuse to come visit a place worth living... We don't look for reasons for Virginians to cross our line. It makes our traffic worse because you all forget about common road courtesy.

Ahh, now... I live in the little corner where WV, VA and MD meet. Let me tell you about MD and WV drivers - they annoy me often enough. West Virginians come in two distinct catagories - Mario Andretti and what my girls call, pokey butt. Further, I'm unsure if 90% of them actually took the eye exam when they got thier license.

Marylanders are oblivious! You guys go about 45 miles an hour no matter what the speed limit and you don't care. 45 in the 60 mph zone, 45 in the 25mph zone... and more marylanders have pulled out (slowly) infront of me than any other state - drives me bats!

And, as for Virginians... we're just repaying the favor... I live outside a little town off Rte 9 - over 80% of our traffic (and it's a whole lot of traffic, we counted one day - over 500 cars at rush hour in 10 minutes) is WV or MD - majority is WV. On the weekend, it is MD - we're off one of the road that gets you to the slots and track!

Actually, I think most drivers are impatient idiots who should have his/her license revoked - Virginians included.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I'll call myself out because its my fault. :sign0018:I'll leave the "Who's a worse driver" topic to another thread. Back to "Dwarf West Africans." I've only known of Kribs as West Africans, but apparently theres a ton more fish in this category. I like a lot of the South American Apistos, so this might be a neat area to explore. I wish I had some tank space to order some stuff from aquaticclarity, but maybe in the future. Anybody else keep these dwarf cichlids other than kribs?

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
You would be suprised at how many people tell me they wish they had LFS like this area has.

Chuck mentioned it the other day. Said all they have left are the box stores. They did not support the LFS and now they have none left.
Can't believe how many of our speakers tell me that after I run them to a few stores.

Lively

Members
*poke Michael - me too... :)

I'm not sure it is all that, Pat. The few LFS's around here seem to have a decent number of people in them. Part of it could be that this area of VA just can't support them, lack of interest in fish - maybe? Doesn't help that the cost of living and doing business ain't cheap in this part of VA, either.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Some of my favorite fish West African. You should pick up Dr. Lamboj's book if you are just getting into fish from this part of Africa.
Having a decent number of people in the store does not mean they are buying or that they are spending much. TFW gets a lot of traffic from New Fortune, but they are only killing time while they wait for their table. We are also used as a babysitting service for families who encounter friends while waiting for brunch.

We have a bunch of customers who keep us going, but with more of you shopping with us we could go a lot farther.

Lively

Members
I should have said, paying customer. Last couple of times I've been in a small LFS in VA there was a line to check out - with the exception of the last time - that may have been because it was 10/11am on a tueday...

I have to say, most of the LFS's I've been in in MD are far better than the ones we have. But, I think the ones in MD are actually as close to me as any with a VA addy - when you take rte. 7 traffic into consideration.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
You would be suprised at how many people tell me they wish they had LFS like this area has.

Chuck mentioned it the other day. Said all they have left are the box stores. They did not support the LFS and now they have none left.
Can't believe how many of our speakers tell me that after I run them to a few stores.
I think part of the reason this area can support so many is because of population density and per capita income. MoCo MD, Loudoun VA, and Fairfax VA are 3 of the "richest" counties in the nation. We also have a fairly high density of people considering the amount of area the stores are concentrated in. I guess I've been spoiled by living in MD my whole life. I didn't realize LFS were becoming so scarce. Theres still 6 LFS I occasionally visit, and that doesn't include Scales, which I used to frequent weekly. I hope we can provide them with enough business to keep them running; I'd go nuts if the "chain/box stores" were all that were available. There always seems to be foot traffic, but as Andrew said, having people in the store doesn't guarantee business.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Also, remember that CCA members get a 10% discount at Tropical Fish World ... and they proudly display a CCA sign above their big show tank :)

Matt

Some of my favorite fish West African. You should pick up Dr. Lamboj's book if you are just getting into fish from this part of Africa.
Having a decent number of people in the store does not mean they are buying or that they are spending much. TFW gets a lot of traffic from New Fortune, but they are only killing time while they wait for their table. We are also used as a babysitting service for families who encounter friends while waiting for brunch.

We have a bunch of customers who keep us going, but with more of you shopping with us we could go a lot farther.