• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Dwarf Comp Question

rich_one

Members
Anyone here familiar with altolamprologus compressiceps dwarf sumbu? I've been doing some google searches, but hope someone here can possibly supplement some info for me:

1. Do you think one could do a pair or trio of these in a 33 gallon tank, with say, a pair or trio of occies? Or is this war in the making?

2. If not occies, then maybe multies, or something similar?

3. Does anyone know if they come in multiple color morphs? Seem to be having some issue getting one consistent photo of them via Google.

And please add any other info you may feel like volunteering. Thanks!

-Rich

Leffler817

CCA Members
Anyone here familiar with altolamprologus compressiceps dwarf sumbu? I've been doing some google searches, but hope someone here can possibly supplement some info for me:

1. Do you think one could do a pair or trio of these in a 33 gallon tank, with say, a pair or trio of occies? Or is this war in the making?

2. If not occies, then maybe multies, or something similar?
IMO you'll need a lot more shells since both groups exhibit similar behaviors. It would kind of be a waste of space. Both the Comps and shellies are typically lower water column occupiers. In a 33 you'll want to get a group of fish that likes the upper water columns. I got full grown males from JULIE (frybabies) which she kept in a 15 as a reverse trio.

3. Does anyone know if they come in multiple color morphs? Seem to be having some issue getting one consistent photo of them via Google.
There are two color morphs that I'm aware of. The Sumbu Bay has a yellow side fin, and a group from MITBA(sp?) sports a blue one. There might even be a third location, Cameroon Bay but it doesn't have a color variation.

Lastly, they are skittish so something in the upper water levels will help bring them out into the open. There might be some dwarf Cyps that you could add to a 33 but I'm not sure if that's too small of a tank. They are extremely slow growing but not as colorful in the tank as some other comps and calvus. Good luck Bro!

And please add any other info you may feel like volunteering. Thanks!

-Rich

P.S. - if you come across any females, hook a brother up! :happy0180:

londonloco

Members
I have 5 in a 20g long (since 5/11), they were sold to me as sub-adult Comp Sumbu's, only one is showing yellow side fins, other 4 are drab in coloring. I have them with 5 white cloud minnows, the Comps are not shy at all, swim out and about all day, beg for food, etc. The only time they venture off the bottom of the tank is to eat.

I have the tank set up with two shell beds, 4 occupy the right side, one has 1/3 left all to himself, tho he will eat with the other 4. They do use their shells, right now I'm using larger whales eye shells, which fit them fine. The tank is planted, they haven't uprooted any plants, yet, waiting to see what happens as they mature.

Funny little fish, I like them, makes for a nice tank.

rich_one

Members
Hmm... while I'm sure they are interesting, not so sure I want anything too drab in color.

As it is, it seems I keep coming back to either gold occies for an Old World option, or Rainbows for a New World option. I just need to commit to one or the other I guess... cannot figure why I am being so hesitant about it. I guess I feel like I'm missing an option I'm not thinking of, and don't want to move too fast until I'm sure. LOL... decisions, decisions.

-Rich