• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Dwarf African's?

iamzrad

Members
Due to moving issues, my big tank cannot come with me :(
I still want to set up a small 20 or 30gal tank, but still want to stick with Malawi's (Malawi haters, join in and recommend me something else, maybe? hehe).

Are there are dwarf malawi's out there? I don't want mbuna. That is really my only issue of this new tank.

Whatcha recommend?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Sorry to hear that Phil. :(

There are some smaller peacocks.. the maylandi and blue orchids come to mind. 5"-6" max.

As for haps, some of the otopharynx are very sharp looking fish. You can also look into some of the smaller copadichromis. There are some species in both genuses that max out around 6" or so.

Are you looking to do a breeding group or males? I would recommend trying to do a 40 breeder if you have the room. Slightly larger than a 30L, but you can cram way more fish into it. You could easily keep a breeding group of peacocks along with a breeding group of the 6" haps or mbuna.... so long as the haps and peacocks are different enough not to interbreed.

Alternatively, you could fill it with different species males. Shoot, a 40 could make a decent male peacock tank....

Any idea what you're doing with your haps? They staying at your folks' house?

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
You trying to call dibs on Phil's fish? Get in line buddy.:blush:

Just kidding. Tony gave most of the ideas that would probably work out. Lethrinops are a good choice too. Some of them can get big, but the albus and red-caps only get about 5 or 6" too.

Let me know how things go and if you need help with the move or transferring fish.

iamzrad

Members
Sorry to hear that Phil. :(

There are some smaller peacocks.. the maylandi and blue orchids come to mind. 5"-6" max.

As for haps, some of the otopharynx are very sharp looking fish. You can also look into some of the smaller copadichromis. There are some species in both genuses that max out around 6" or so.

Are you looking to do a breeding group or males? I would recommend trying to do a 40 breeder if you have the room. Slightly larger than a 30L, but you can cram way more fish into it. You could easily keep a breeding group of peacocks along with a breeding group of the 6" haps or mbuna.... so long as the haps and peacocks are different enough not to interbreed.

Alternatively, you could fill it with different species males. Shoot, a 40 could make a decent male peacock tank....

No breeding group. I don't want to get into that jungle.
40l will have to be the max size for a tank.
The tank is staying at my parent's house in Baltimore.
I'm there every weekend cleaning the tank. They usually feed them, but I just gotta teach someone how to clean it lol.

As much as it will hurt me, the last thing I want to do is part these fish. I'm going to keep them even if I have to drive there on weekends to clean/etc. I've gone head of heels to acquire some of these guys. :D

You trying to call dibs on Phil's fish? Get in line buddy.:blush:

Just kidding. Tony gave most of the ideas that would probably work out. Lethrinops are a good choice too. Some of them can get big, but the albus and red-caps only get about 5 or 6" too.

Let me know how things go and if you need help with the move or transferring fish.

HAHA. The line started even before I had these fish! lol. There's like a 2yr waiting period for them! :lol::lol::lol:

I mean, they don't have to be haps/peacocks. I just want to stay away from mbuna, but they would be the last resort.

I might cross the dark side, again, and well, you know...;)

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
What are the specific dimensions you need for the new tank? Maybe there is a tank out that that you're not thinking about.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I guess you don't trust the flooring. I would consider the 30 breeder or one of marineland's cubes. There is a 25g that is 18"X18". If you are ok with length over width, the 33 long is a nice tank. If money is not an issue, you could go acrylic and design a tank to get the max amount of length and width but making it short.

YSS

Members
P. Nicoolsi is not from Malawi, but I think they come as close to Malawi cichlids not from Malawi. They don't get big and they are pretty cool. Sarah has them. :)

iamzrad

Members
I guess you don't trust the flooring. I would consider the 30 breeder or one of marineland's cubes. There is a 25g that is 18"X18". If you are ok with length over width, the 33 long is a nice tank. If money is not an issue, you could go acrylic and design a tank to get the max amount of length and width but making it short.

I do, but it's just not safe for a large tank on a top floor.

longstocking

Members
you can do so many different things if you just stay away from malawi :p :lol:

Shellies
Calvus
Paracyprichromis
Julidochromis
N. buesheri
Xenotilapia
Most rockdwellers

The list goes on and on for tangs....

Now if you are purley going for color ... P. nicholsi hands down.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
You guys f orgot Lacatara Dorsiger. If you buy some from Apisto Dave I'll split the shipping with you.

mrkillie

Members
Nothing over 30gals. I'm on a top floor and well...

Sounds like you may be operating under a false misconception. Take a look at the numbers. Using a typical person as an example, weight is about 200 lbs. and their feet take up about 2/3 of a square foot of area. Doing the math gives you 300 lbs./sq. ft (2.08 lbs./sq. in.) of area.

Now, lets look at a 75 gallon tank. Let's say it weighs about 15 lbs./gallon when you include gravel, rocks and the stand. 1125 lbs. But, if you are using a cabinet stand that has a solid bottom, you are spreading that weight out over 6 sq. ft., giving you only 187.5 lbs./sq. ft. (only 1.3 lbs./sq. in.)These numbers have all been exagerated on the safe side. If you use the proper type of stand, the tank will be safer than a person standing in the room if your floor is your concern. It is pressure that counts most, not total weight. Plus, as long as your tank is near a wall, the support will be much stronger than in the middle of the room. That is assuming that your floor joists run perpendicular to the long side of the tank. If you know what direction your joists run, you shouldn't have trouble finding a safe spot. Typical building codes call for floors to be able to support a minimum of 40 lbs./sq. ft. over the entire floor.

This is the same principal that makes having a water bed possible for many people. The weight is distributed over a larger area than the weight of an ordinary bed (usually just 4 wheels) so the pressure on the floor is usually much less than that of an ordinary bed.

Just don't use an iron stand. You don't want to see the math on that! :)

Joel

Leffler817

CCA Members
Size doesn't matter...

I do, but it's just not safe for a large tank on a top floor.

Fear not! I once had a 55gal in my upper apartment and had no problems ever. I got the tank/stand(pine) combo and set it up on an interior wall. I never had floor sagging or plaster cracking. It was an apartment complex and IMHO cheaply made building. You can get 55 gallon combos relatively cheap and stock it with anything...

Do you have to pay for water or is it included with your utilities?

Spine

Members
If you are looking for a nice size tank. I know some one who is selling a 50 breeder,it comes with a light and wooden cabinet stand:D:D:D

I think by water he means that in the event that the tank were to fail or back siphon the amount of water he is willing to risk on the floor tempers the size tank he is willing to place there. He is trying to prevent a pond or waterfall for his neighbors and save him the headache and cost of repairs. The likelihood of the tank failing or back siphoning? Doesnt matter, it only has to happen once.