• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

DSB (Deep Sand Bed) for Freshwater

Fishn'

CCA Members
Most plants are actually so-so on nitrates (hornwort will consume respectable amounts of nitrates as well as some terrestrial grasses). Most plants really like ammonia, though, so having plants in the tank usually reduces nitrates by not allowing them to even make it that far in the cycle rather than direct consumption of nitrate. Floating plants can use more nutrients than submerged plants because they don't have to worry about CO2 being limited.
I have a giant bunch of hornworth that I float in my new tanks as they cycle. This is good to know. You hear such a wide variety of "facts" that it's hard to always know truth from fake news. I was always told floating plants really work on the nitrates but it's not always that simple.

I keep all my tanks moderately to heavily planted. I simply like the natural look and the fish act much more natural.

Fishn'

CCA Members

I found this YouTube video that goes over Miracle Mud in a refugium. I watched it initially about 6 months ago and recently thought of it when the DSB idea sprung up. While not a DSB in a tank, it shares much of the same principles.

I'm curious about any feedback or experience.

He claims 6-8 water changes over 6 years.

The details begin around 6:30.

Sonny Disposition

Most plants are actually so-so on nitrates (hornwort will consume respectable amounts of nitrates as well as some terrestrial grasses). Most plants really like ammonia, though, so having plants in the tank usually reduces nitrates by not allowing them to even make it that far in the cycle rather than direct consumption of nitrate. Floating plants can use more nutrients than submerged plants because they don't have to worry about CO2 being limited.

Well said, Christine! (Likewise, for stem plants that break the surface, like bacopa and Persicaria odorata.)

Sonny Disposition

Also, I've heard anecdotally that java fern is really good at absorbing ammonia. An added benefit is that it's highly tolerant of sodium and can handle brackish water.

Cal

CCA Members
Cory visited a fish store out in California that doesn’t do water changes. One of the tanks hadn’t had a water change in 25 years. Oh and that tank has a deep substrate! I’m be a poorer man if I lived near that place. Lol

captmicha

Members
I just wouldn't take the risk of an air bubble of epic proportions building up. I have a deeper sand bed in my 40 gallon that is about 2" deep and it builds up some pretty big sized bubbles from time to time under the décor. If you were to get a large enough build up, it could be bad. That risk alone would deter me. If it were more porous substrate that was heavier and there was less of a chance for bubbles to form/burst, I'd take a shot. Otherwise, nope. I'd steer clear. Just my opinion though. You could mimic the look by putting a layer of black sand at the bottom and then some lighter sand on top if the look is what you want.
What do you use?

captmicha

Members
I use pool filter sand in most of my tanks, some have a deep bed as I plant more plants, I find myself adding more sand. I like how filth doesn't sink into it like with gravel. I just hover over the sand for cleaning.

Remembering to poke it to release gas is important, something I struggle with.

Keeping livestock that disturbs sand is helpful. Unfortunately for me, MTS don't thrive in my soft, acidic water.

You can use it with diggers granted you use large, heavy enough rocks to protect plant roots. My Guianacara's mission in life is to dig up their plants. They've moved some pretty impressive sized rocks in comparison to their own size.

I've had Banjo catfish and other burrowers do nicely in planted sand tanks even without rocks. I guess large enough roots on well established plants was the key. But with bigger guys, you'd definitely need rocks or bury potted plants.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Pool filter sand is more coarse and therefore easier to keep air bubbles out of. Some debris still gets under it, though, giving a chance for build up. I use it in one of my planted tanks, but it is not perfect. You still get bubbles under it. I also used play sand, which is much more fine and builds up bubbles. The positive is that stuff doesn’t get in it easily. The negative is that when stuff gets under it, it gets trapped more easily. You have to stir both and it can still cause issues if you release too much gas at once. I suppose if you remove the fish before large water changes where you stir the sand vigorously, it might work...