• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

drift wood tanins

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I've always just boiled the heck out of driftwood before I put it in the tank to get rid of some of the tannis. Honestly, I sort of like a bit of color in the water on some setups (especially planted).

I've heard of some folks using a whole lot of carbon in the tank to reduce it, but never really tried this.

(EDIT: Yeah, what Wil said, lol........man, do I type slow)

fischfan13

Banned
Here ya go...

Day one:
Boil, then soak in water for 24 hours.

Day two:
Repeat Day One

Day Three:
Repeat Day Two, unless you liked Day One so much that you want to repeat Day One.

Day Four:
Change the water that you are soaking it in.

Day Five:
Add to tank with carbon.

About one week later you will want to remove the carbon.

minifoot77

Members
thanks for the breakdown bill now i see what tommy had to deal with.... thought there was a poly something or other...

Jumbie

Members
Carbon would work better than the Poly filter if you want to remove the "tea" color look. I like the water in my pike tanks to be a little on the "tea" color side, I think the fish like it and it seems to work for me.

mscichlid

Founder
I was going to say 'charcoal and water changes', but I deleted part of it.:)

Why are you trying to get rid of the tanins? It does have its beneficial effects. Is it because you don't like the look? What species of SA are in the tank and how are they thriving?

Brown water is a bother to folks who keep plants or for those who have worked hard to have 'clear' water. But as one who keeps fish that mostly thrive in 'black water', it is a welcomed sight. I had a pair of Crenicichla acutirostrus and several species of Apistogramma that thrived when the tank was dark brown and warm. Of course, I strived to match their husbandry conditions to their type locality.

Driftwood, as you already know, will also affect the alkalinity parameters. Keep an eye on you pH, too.

longstocking

Members
Caleb boil it a lot... when you are sick of boiling it.... just do water changes it will go away. If you are using it for tangs watch your ph. It could drop your ph making your fish less than happy.

minifoot77

Members
i know about the ph thingy i got ribbon wood (manzanita) in my 55 and if i let my wc go to far it drops to mid 6's and the fish stress out... good birth control but bad for color and probably their lives...

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Poly Bio pad is fast at removing tanins. It also removes just about everything else, so if the tank is being dosed with ferts, you might want to go easy on it.