• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Dream big. Execute smaller.

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
What is it lately with all of these cool tiny fish coming into the hobby?

Seems like every time I turn around, a friend is telling me about some new tiny Tetra, Rasbora, or Apisto.

IMG_4705_grande.JPG

I think it's one of the coolest developments in years...and it dovetails very nicely with the idea of creating speciality tanks for fishes that would otherwise be sort of "lost" in a larger tank. And what's even more cool with these little fishes, besides the fact that you can keep 'em in smaller tanks, is that you can create, without too much expense, equipment, and effort- interesting little "niche" tanks, representing very specific habitats.

unnamed_b279df6d-c674-4b7d-a768-b9758b733acb_grande.jpg

This is not only fun from a hobby perspective, but it's a huge development for aquarium "science" in general. Think about it: If you could keep a group of cool little fishes in say, a 5-gallon aquarium, set up to replicate a seldom-created micro-niche, like an Asian peat swamp for Rasbora, wild Bettas, or gouramis, or an African "mud pool" for killies, with little "infrastructure" investment, minimal expense, small "footprint", and short "build time", you could work with a lot of different little fishes that might otherwise not get the attention and study that they deserve from the hobby. And in the process, you can help unlock some really cool insights into these fishes and their habitats- all while doing something very creative and inspiring for others! (click to read more)