• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Does Anyone Here Keep Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's?

Lively

Members
I did a forum search and found one post from about 2 years ago about them. Was wondering if anyone had picked up the breeding gaunlet for them?

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
I have one. I'd like to get a few more but not for breeding just for a show tank. I have a BGJD but don't really have the oom for him.

mscichlid

Founder
I have always thought that JD's were a beautiful fish. There is a resturant near me that has them and I was interested in acquiring them because they are so prolific - purely for pike food - but then my thoughts turned to the possibilities of a great photographic specimen.

Are JD's a pure species. If they are, I might be interested.

Lively

Members
They are very prolific! Mine just laid eggs, again. Jacks are a pure species and the Electric Blues are a color varient of the JD - mine are normal JD's that just happen to be very blue. I want to breed the EB's with mine - I think they will produce spectacular fish. But, I'm biased lol.

If you're interested in regular JD's I have a few that are already coloring up beautifully - they are only 4 months old and around 2 inches. I was planning on taking them to a lfs for trade/store credit - but if you want some I'd be happy to pull a mix of sizes - females tend to grow a bit slower so if you only take the biggest you lower the chance of a breeding pair.

I don't know if Theresa M is still around. She use to have them. I photographed her tanks a few years ago...

2ndPPFish4.jpg

2ndPPFish3.jpg

2ndPPFish2.jpg

2ndPPFish5.jpg

Lively

Members
That is the fishy, do you remember how big they were? I'd guess by the markings and color around 1.5-2 inches? Great shots btw. I saw them when I was searching the forums to see if anyone was keeping them.

It's a tricky fish to keep that young, from what I understand. I'll let you know first hand in a couple of weeks... finally getting around to setting up tanks for getting them :)

dogofwar

CCA Members
Breeding electric blue JDs requires crossing with regular (wild-type) ones...and then breeding with their offspring (that carry the recessive gene for the mutation that causes EBJDs).

I like my JDs au naturale...but can see the beauty of the fancy ones :)

I think that there are some really nice wild-type ones at Tropical Fish World in G'Burg (at about 4-5") right now. Probably some EBJDs as well.

Cartel

Members
There was a breeding pair for sale on mfk not too long ago for 400 bucks. Im sure that wouldnt be a bad investment with how much ebjd go for. Just the little guys are 40 bucks at HOT imagine growing some out then selling them. But yeah iv read they are tricky since they have a week immune system.

Lively

Members
Wild type ones I have aplenty... and they are still my favorite fish. Really bad pic but the lighting was perfect to catch the colors. It was taken about 2 weeks ago - dark one in the center is still the dominant fish in the tank - I predict it'll be a looker when it grows up.

G'Burg? I'm on the VA side... have to translate lol

There is a breeding pair on AB right now for 400 - but looking at the fry in the pic I don't see any that are EB's. Since they look like regular JD's you'd better trust the person you get them from since they are pretty expensive for a proven breeding pair. And, not many people are buying $80 fish right now :)

Oddball3.jpg