• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Does anyone here keep Discus?

Jumbie

Members
I use to have some red Snakeskin and Blue Diamond Discus that I got form EA. I gave them away a few years ago when I was leaving the freshwater fish hobby. I really do regret giving those fish away.

cmcpart0422

Members
A couple of months ago I was debating if I wanted to start a discus tank but I decided against it. I made the mistake of starting a piranha tank which lasted only 2 months. Every now and again I check out "discus hans" stock list and prices. Every time I stop in scales I always take a long look at the discus they have. I promise you I will start a discus tank, eventually.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
I have a 75g discus tank. I have 5 right now (2 pigeon blood, 3 brilliant turqs) but would like 2 more discus. It also has 25 sterbai cory and I am planning to add a schooling fish at some point. I also have a 55g I am thinking about getting some wild discus for. They are rewarding fish to keep.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
newtanks-fishroom005.jpg

NEWGAR055.jpg

msjinkzd

invert junkie
i just yanked out a bunch of swords and stuff to give more swimming room and planted new crypts, its looking bare to me. This is what it was like before:
rescape002.jpg

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I have a 150 with sword plants and about 15 young Discus.
Multiple colors. All from Hans. I also have some rummy nose, albino plecos, and some sterbai.
I too need to remove some of the plants. Getting too big and taking up the tank.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
They are just colorful, active, and fun to watch. Everyone who comes into my fishroom stops at their tank :)

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
In my opinion,,,,,,,(which may not be worth much)
As long as you give them a clean environment and warm temps they are not that big a deal.
82-84F should be an area to strive for. I would also watch what you put in the tank with them.

maddog10

Members
From what I understand......

Wilds are harder to keep and are more dependent on water parameters. The new fancy strains are generally easier to keep and can survive in varied conditions (may need specific conditions to breed).

msjinkzd

invert junkie
I have heard the same. I just use my hard tap water for my domestic discus. They are doing very well. I would like to try a tank of wild-types, but would need to probably invest in an ro unit first. All in good time!