• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Does anybody keep Tropheus around here??????????

buntbarsch

Members
OK, I know that Bobby keeps them and I beleive Sarah has some too. However, I can't find anything on this forum about them
sorry.gif

I sure love to see some of Sarah's and Bobby's awesome Tropheus photos. Here are some of mine:

Tropheus sp. "Cape Nundo"
Chisanse-64.jpg

Tropheus sp. "Katonga"
Katonga-33.jpg

Tropheus sp. "Kasanga"
Rainbow25.jpg

Tropheus sp. "Nangu"
Nangu58.jpg

Tropheus sp. "Moba II" (Murago)
IMG_1289.jpg

Sooooo, who is next?????????

Thanks Klaus.:)

Julie, I got to get up there and get you some good photos. You have waaayyy too many beautiful fish that you should be sharing images.:D

Jose, I know somebody that has some "reds" for sale.;)

In fact, they are still breeding. Babies always showing up...

4bTrophs030109.jpg

mrkillie

Members
Great pics, all of them. I have just Tropheus. sp. Ikola Kaiser since October. I just moved them to a 100 gal long tank, from a 40 breeder. Just a bare tank,right now-I am going to look for some rocks to put in there at some point in the near future. There is just 6 of them I picked up atthe PVAS auction for a steal (I thought) at $35. I have been wanting to add some more since I have been reading about them doing best in large groups, but they are $30 - $55 each at That Fish Place depending on size, so I think I'll take my chances and hope the population grows naturally.

Does anyone keep any other fish with them? Rumor has ti that most Julies and Lamps will do fine with them. I am hoping to add tankmates.

Joel

buntbarsch

Members
Does anyone keep any other fish with them? Rumor has ti that most Julies and Lamps will do fine with them. I am hoping to add tankmates.

Yes Joel, I do keep other cichlids with my Tropheus. However, be careful what you choose. Tropheus are very specialized feeders and any species you pick to accompany them needs to have the same dietary requirements. Lamprologus and Julidochromis species are omnivorous while Tropheus are herbivorous. I feed my Tropheus a good spirulina flake or a veggie based flake ONLY. Lamps and Julies will not be happy with that. They need mysis shrimp, mosquito larvae, daphnia etc. to get in breeding condition.
Now there are many cichlid species that fit the bill perfectly. Here are some of them that I kept and still keep with my Tropheus very successfully.

Eretmodus cyanostictus
Eretmodus-13-1.jpg

Petrochromis trewawasae
petro54.jpg

Simochromis babaulti
Simo-24.jpg

Simo-23.jpg

Tanganicodus irsacae
Irsacae-3.jpg

Irsacae-2.jpg

All these fish are do not only have the same dietary requirements but they will also match the temperament of the Tropheus.

I hope that this info will help you. ;)

I feed mine strictly NLS cichlid formula pellets. Since all my cichlids get the same food, I have done fairly well with a couple other fish from the lake sharing residents with the trophs.

I currently keep Cyprichromis Leptosoma and Micro. Cyprichromis with them. Aslo, I have had Lamprologus Stappersii and currently have Lamprologus Brevis (shellies) in the tank. Also have a single wc Eretmodus cyanostictus in there too.

Oh yeah, had a L. compressicep and Alto. calvus in there for a while too.

Brevis in the tank...
2aBrevisPair081308-1.jpg

E. cyanostrictus...
1bGoby040708.jpg

L. Stappersii...
11bLStappersii100507.jpg

Cyps...
1aCypLepUnita021909.jpg

mrkillie

Members
Yes Joel, I do keep other cichlids with my Tropheus. However, be careful what you choose. Tropheus are very specialized feeders and any species you pick to accompany them needs to have the same dietary requirements. Lamprologus and Julidochromis species are omnivorous while Tropheus are herbivorous. I feed my Tropheus a good spirulina flake or a veggie based flake ONLY. Lamps and Julies will not be happy with that. They need mysis shrimp, mosquito larvae, daphnia etc. to get in breeding condition.
Now there are many cichlid species that fit the bill perfectly.

Thanks Klaus.

I wonder about there ever being a species of fish that grazes on algae that is a true herbivore. I have had some conversations with some other people who theorize that as a result of certain fishes grazing on algae, they inevitably also ingest small crustaceans that are also feeding on the algae, and thus these fish are not truly herbivorous and the inclusion of things like brine shrimp, mysis shrimp and gammarus may actually be beneficial to these types of fish. I have also read that some people are adamant about avoiding a pure algae/spirulina/veggie diet for Tropheus, while others will take the direction you do.

I feed them mostly spirulina pellets, with an occasional offering of brine shrimp or mysis shrimp, maybe once or twice per week. I always offer the spirulina pellets with the shrimp as well, never the shrimp alone.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Joel

Charlutz

Members
If you get a chance, take a look at the label on a good spirulina based food. It's not pure vegetable. And brine shrimp flakes, etc. often contain spirulina. What that tells me is that a lot of the flake and pellet foods are a mix. Doesn't mean you shouldn't be careful in giving your tropheus or other *primarily* veggie eaters any "meats", just that many people (not talking about Klaus, just referencing the many posts I've seen on the interweb) say they give their fish "pure" spirulina only, when in fact they are giving them a flake or pellet diet that contains much more fish meal than they think. :)

buntbarsch

Members
Yes Sarah, I know that you are "one of us" but I also know that you take very nice pictures. So don't be shy...............please!!!!!!!!!

longstocking

Members
Well I don't have pictures of all of them but I'm currently keeping...

Duboisi
Ilangi
Ndole
Lupota
Bemba
Moliro

Some of these are bobby's shots....

Ilangi
MaleIllangis2.jpg

DSCN4077-1.jpg

Ndole
Ndole.jpg

Lupota
Lupota8.jpg

Tropheuslupota-1.jpg

Moliro
Moliro-1.jpg

Duboisi
Duboisi.jpg

Julie

Members
Dang!!! I keep telling myself that I have to wait on getting a new camera...

then I see pics like these. I know that it's not only the camera... but still I get so green!!!

longstocking

Members
Julie you do need a new camera. You do have a nice camera... just dated.

The camera does make a big difference. That and lighting. But you have enough lighting with your photo set-up.

Not that I have a nice camera.... but I played with bobby's old one a while back. So I know how much better mine would be if I did have a nice camera.