• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Do you test your water?

Do you test your water

• OH Yeah, I test for everthing possible.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I test once in a while.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I test only if there are problems in the tank.

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • No I usually don't need / bother testing.

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Test? Nobody told me there was going to be a test today.

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters

cmcpart0422

Members
I might test once every two months or so. I do test while i'm cycling and after I add to a tank to monitor where the bio load is at until the tank takes care of everything.

Lively

Members
When I set a tank up - yup I test. Testing the apistos tank every other day since I'm trying to bring the pH down - but an established tank I don't test often - 2-3 times a year, maybe.

Cartel

Members
I did with my first tank till i was sure everything was cycled. I put the test kit away and havent touched it since.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I rarely test. I usually use old gravel or a cycled filter when I set up a new tank so "new tank syndrome" isn't an issue. With larger volume tanks, the water stays well buffered, and as long as the fish appear healthy, I don't see a need to.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
i did in the beginning but i havent in ages. i figure with the weekly water changes and conditioner no too much need. that and the fact the water never kills my fish its either another fish, my ignorance, or an act of god.

The only tank I test is the new planted set up that has CO2 and new wood, new substrate and the Ph is about 5.5 so I dont want to add fish until that levels off about 6.2 or so.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
I test if I have concerns. I do test for hardness (gh/kh) alot in my invertebrate tanks as I have to fudge with these values to keep more difficult species.

tash

Members
I test when I see spawning so I know what I did right :lol:

I test new tanks too, but like above I use 'old' gravel etc so it's not really a problem. Actually I have never even seen the 'ammonia spike' a new tank is suppost to get. But with my first tank years and years ago I didnt know about it and since then I have always had stuff from other tanks.

iamzrad

Members
Usually if I see stress, I test.
Other than that, rarely.

But I do test my tap 3-5 times a year, just to make sure and adjust accordingly.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I just have to laugh at this...

Does anyone follow the "rules" of fishkeeping? ROFL

It is funny how the longer you've been in the hobby, the less you follow the "rules." I used to test regularly when I had very basic tank setups, but I learned if you maintain regularly, then the numbers never got out of control. With multiple large tank setups, I barely have time to do my water changes and move fish around as needed. There aren't enough hours in the day to follow the "rules."

YSS

Members
I test my discus tank for pH and Nitrate regulary so I can adjust my feeding and water change schedule.

longstocking

Members
I would like to test for TDS...

If I had a TDS tester I would test every day...

It's one of the things I have wanted for years. Just never bought... I'm hoping this year...

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
I test new tanks until I get everything stabilized, once I've got a good balance between waterchanges and feeding, the tank generally takes care of itself. In my experience, once the routine is set the water parameters stay relatively stable.