• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Do you quarantine?

When you pick up new fish, Do you quarantine?

• Yes - Always. Would never put a new fish in with my current stock.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Depends on if I have the room.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Depends on who I get the fish from.

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • About 1/2 the time.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I never bother because its over rated.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Just don't have the room or time to worry about it.

Votes: 7 20.6%

• Total voters
A

AlishanAS

I know I should but never have. Not even wild FW or salt water fish. Tank space is too valuable to "waste". ;)

In all my years keeping fish I've been bitten twice by not doing this. Once in a SW setting, the other when a wild pleco brought something with it that wiped out a tank of Syn. multipunctatus.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I really, really, really try to quarantine new fish, no matter the source.

Doesn't ALWAYS happen...but I try.

dogofwar

CCA Members
There are way too many nasty bugs swimming around to trust ANYONE else's water.

Even people who are superb aquarists...

msjinkzd

invert junkie
Depends on if its fish or invertebrate as well for me. Typically I qt for a month of health if its a fish.

mab

Members
I have three quarantine tanks set aside for this purpose - 2 20g Longs and a 30g breeder. If I do have an outbreak in one of those tanks the tank and contents are nuc'd with bleach after removing the fish. I will make an exception to quarantine if I really know the source; however, that is the very rare exception.

Lively

Members
There are way too many nasty bugs swimming around to trust ANYONE else's water.

Even people who are superb aquarists...

I have to agree. Anyway -most occur no matter what you do. Sterile water isn't good. Sometimes, (I think) all it take is one fish who's immune system isn't so good to get sick and then the bug multiplies and you've got a sick tank. Kinda like us poor saps when the cold and flu season starts.

Its all about the condition the fish is in and where it came from. I do not quarantine often because I only buy healthy fish from people I know are good sources. I would love to quarantine all the time but have no room for it. Especially if it is a big fish.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Yes, I'm strong believer in setting up a quarantine tank.:happy0144:

In fact, it's all relative if I have any room to quarantine new fish. :(

I never have a problem moving fish in house, but outsiders need to sit in a tank for about 3 months before they're moved anywhere.

RM

F8LBITE

Members
also for me it depends who i got it from. usually I QT for one week in a 20L. Mainly to allow the new fish to settle down from the trip and to get their energy strong enough to fend for themselves in the new tank.

Cartel

Members
After reading this thread I went and bought a sponge filter and a rubbermaid tub. Throwing it under the tank and calling it my QT now.

longstocking

Members
depends.......

Sometimes the mere size of the fish won't allow me to. Who has a bunch of 55's sitting around for quaranteen? Not me :lol:

I buy from 3 people on a regular basis. Most likely... if they have something I have it too ! If they are going into a full tank I will still quaranteen most of the time... I got bit HARD by this one time. No room.... wiped out an entire tank.

All auction buys... quaranteen. ( no offense to anyone here... but I don't always know who they are from ).

I don't QT any tank raised fish (if it comes from a healthy tank), only wild caught fish. THEY are the ones that bring in new bugs from the wild and can make other fish sick. I have never had a problem with tank raised fish, but surely I will and then I'll start QTing tak raised fish.