• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Do Melafix and Pimafix Work?

Do Pimafix and Melafix work?

• Works great!

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • So so ...

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Does not work

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

YSS

Members
I've been reading conflicting opinions on Melafix and Pimafix. Do they actually work? Not just for healing nicks and scrapes, but for bacterial and fungal infections as well as stated in the bottle.

Jumbie

Members
I have not used Melafix for bacterial and fungal infections before but I have used it for damage fins and I think it works great.

iamzrad

Members
A nice water change and some salt is really all you need. I used to use melafix when I saw nipped fins, etc. But I ran out of it over a year ago and have yet to buy a new bottle of it. So I guess I could of been without it.

My vote is that it's not neccessary but a good back up plan/last resort kind of thing.

davidhusker

Members
I have never used Pimafix, but have been interested in trying it out. I am with Jumbie in that I have only used Melafix for fins, nicks, and scrapes on my fish. I typically will just add some to a water change if needed.

More lately i have been using salt on stressed fish and sick "looking" fish.

Another odd thing. I use a combination of Melafix and Fungus Clear when cleaning/decontaminate a tank i am about to setup. IE: i usually fill it up about half way and let it soak for a while and then just rinse it all. This may not even work, probably doesn't but I am too afraid of bleach!

Last thing. A buddy of mine in Kansas City swore on Pimafix and Melafix for his fish. I could have swore one meet he was a rep for the company!

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Yun - I love ya; you're my boy and all, BUT...

In the future, can we please refrain from posting up polls until at least a week after Photo of the Month has been posted? 10 folks took the time and effort to take pics and enter the contest and it's being overwritten by a poll that, while being a good discussion and all.... does it even need to be up as a poll?

Again, no offense. :)

As for pima/mela, I use both of them, not sure if they work, but feel better about using them than more "hardcore" treatments.

Spine

Members
I use both I'm not sure if they work or not. Like everyone else I usually use salt.I keep using Pima/Mela because I keep winning it in auctions or someone gives me a bottle.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I am not really sure about Pimafix but the active ingredient in Melafix is Tea Tree oil I think. It is watered down quite a bit. I am told, never tried it, that you can buy Tea Tree oil at a health food store and mix your own stronger and much cheaper. If you search I bet you could find a suggested formula on the net. This is fairly common knowledge so there should be plenty of info on it.

I have used them and got amazing results sometimes and no apparent improvement in some cases. Usually I use either a net and a flush or salt on sick ones of all types.

George

I like Melafix for use in bacterial problems.

While, as many of you said, salt can do wonders, in a planted tank, salt can do alot of harm. I have lots of planted tanks, so unless I am moving a fish into a hospital tank and treating directly vs. treating the tank, salt is not much of an option for me. Especially since many of the plants I keep are not the tough leaved ones many African cichlid keepers have in their tanks. Some of my red plants have leaves like tissues. Salt is not their friend!!

Because I am not a big believer in medication unless really needed, I liked the idea of a more natural, more gentle solution than many of the standard medications on the market which can sometimes cause blooms by killing off biological bacteria, harming certain fish, yada yada yada, you guys know all this.... ;)

I've met Jack Wattley numerous times and have gone to his hatchery in Florida a bunch of times. He swears by Melafix for his discus (does not receive any financial reward for his verbal 'endorsement'), and that was good enough for me when I saw any of my discus needing treatment (bacterial).

I have used Primafix, but I'm not as much as a fan of it as I am of Melafix. Primafix is not something I re-purchased once I used up, but I always have Melafix on hand.

For torn fins, etc., I find that adding Stress Coat to the tank in recommended dosages, plus using it with water changes does wonders b/c it has aloe vera in it, and that naturally helps to promote healing of damaged tissue.

It's not a medication, it's a water treatment (removes chlorine and neutralizes chloramines) but has the added bonus of the aloe vera in it.

I love it! <--- and that's a non-paid endorsement! :lol:

YSS

Members
I like Melafix for use in bacterial problems.

While, as many of you said, salt can do wonders, in a planted tank, salt can do alot of harm. I have lots of planted tanks, so unless I am moving a fish into a hospital tank and treating directly vs. treating the tank, salt is not much of an option for me. Especially since many of the plants I keep are not the tough leaved ones many African cichlid keepers have in their tanks. Some of my red plants have leaves like tissues. Salt is not their friend!!

Because I am not a big believer in medication unless really needed, I liked the idea of a more natural, more gentle solution than many of the standard medications on the market which can sometimes cause blooms by killing off biological bacteria, harming certain fish, yada yada yada, you guys know all this.... ;)

I've met Jack Wattley numerous times and have gone to his hatchery in Florida a bunch of times. He swears by Melafix for his discus (does not receive any financial reward for his verbal 'endorsement'), and that was good enough for me when I saw any of my discus needing treatment (bacterial).

I have used Primafix, but I'm not as much as a fan of it as I am of Melafix. Primafix is not something I re-purchased once I used up, but I always have Melafix on hand.

For torn fins, etc., I find that adding Stress Coat to the tank in recommended dosages, plus using it with water changes does wonders b/c it has aloe vera in it, and that naturally helps to promote healing of damaged tissue.

It's not a medication, it's a water treatment (removes chlorine and neutralizes chloramines) but has the added bonus of the aloe vera in it.

I love it! <--- and that's a non-paid endorsement! :lol:

Thanks for the feedback. That's good to know. :)

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
I too like Melafix a lot, but to knock out some serious fungus or cotton like stuff on your fish, Maroxy kicks butt. As a matter of fact, I have to go buy some thanx for reminding me and good luck on your fishies.:)))

RM

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
I am not really sure about Pimafix but the active ingredient in Melafix is Tea Tree oil I think. It is watered down quite a bit. I am told, never tried it, that you can buy Tea Tree oil at a health food store and mix your own stronger and much cheaper. If you search I bet you could find a suggested formula on the net. This is fairly common knowledge so there should be plenty of info on it.

I have used them and got amazing results sometimes and no apparent improvement in some cases. Usually I use either a net and a flush or salt on sick ones of all types.

George

DQ posted the recipe on the forum, you can find it by searching melafex. I get my bottles at Rite Aid and love the home brew.

Cartel

Members
Yup after DQ posted that I always made my own. I have just not needed it lately so salt is doing just fine

marge618

CCA member

George

Step 1: I bought tea tree oil. Step 2: Looking on net for formula.
Thanks.