• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

DIY Tank stand ideas?

Klown

Members
I just got my 75 gallon home and before I get it all set up I need a stand for it. I'm sure I can build one with no problem, my question is what things should I make sure I have on it? 1 door or 2? What are things you like in your stands? If you have built one tell me things to look for or do and if u have pictures please post them. Im looking for some ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Depending on type if filtration, you could make one really long door to easily fit a wet/dry. I also like a lip on the stand to cover the bottom trim in the front and sides.

Sent from my DROIDX

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
...also a solid top with a hole made for bulkheads (again depending on filtration.

Sent from my DROIDX

mscichlid

Founder
One thing to consider is style. Where will the tank be located? Will it be part of the decor of your home or in the garage?

Klown

Members
In my home. I want to stain or paint the wood black or some other dark color. Not sure about the wet/dry system yet but woul like the option to be availible.

verbal

CCA Members
Not sure about the wet/dry system yet but woul like the option to be availible.

Then you probably want a front opening at least 24" wide and or a side opening 13" wide. A 24" wide opening lets you easily remove a 20H sump from the the cabinet and you can probably get a 20L/29 in and out with a bit of fiddling.

Hawkman2000

Members
This is what I would use for paint -

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...ngId=-1&keyword=appliance+epoxy&storeId=10051

I have used it before and it is fantastic. It will stick to just about anything. The fact that its epoxy is great for aquarium stands and hoods.

If the trim of the tank is going to be exposed, you could tape of the glass and spray the trim of the tank to match the stand as well.

As far as making a stand that covers the trim, I would only do that if I am building a hood that covers the trim as well.

I would probably build a 2x4 frame (make sure its square), screw mdf onto the outside, and make a 2 door front with no center post. Use liquid nails or quad on all joints.

I have built a few custom cabinets and shelf units, its not that hard as long as you draw it out piece by piece first.

Or you could just build a 2x4 stand. Properly done they can look very nice as well.

londonloco

Members
Frame the stand. Skin the frame. Then make the doors removable, no hinges, use magnets or cleats. This way you get the biggest possible opening to work under the stand. Also consider side doors, as well as a front door. Especially if your going with a sump.

mscichlid

Founder
Looks good, however it would be best if you put a vertical board between the upper and lower frame on each corner as to allow the stress not to be on the nails or screws. This would also allow your finish material to have something to be nailed to.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
She's right...

...and I just hate it when that happens.

Alternately you could plank the top to distribute the weight to the uprights.

Klown

Members
This what the stand looks like prior to staining it. I am going with this polystain stuff. It is polyurithain and stain all in one. Im using the black with a satin finish and it looks great. I do have a door for it that looks great. I had some problems with the molding and actually decided to toss the bottom molding.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1336957727.260360.jpg

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Great job on the build. If you don't need the space in the cabinet, it looks like it would fit a 29 pretty nicely.

Hawkman2000

Members
I LIKE IT!

Only thing I would have done different (as far as I can see), I would have cur the corners at a 45 so that I wouldn't need trim.

verbal

CCA Members
This what the stand looks like prior to staining it. I am going with this polystain stuff. It is polyurithain and stain all in one. Im using the black with a satin finish and it looks great. I do have a door for it that looks great. I had some problems with the molding and actually decided to toss the bottom molding.
Have you gotten the stain yet? Is it polyshades? I tried it once. It ended up looking ok eventually, but it was a real pain to work with. It is very thick and is tough to lay down even coats. I think it would take less time and effort to do a couple of coats of stain and a coat of polyurethane.