• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

DIY Aquarium Controller/Monitor

AquaStudent

Members
I have been brainstorming and researching for the past few months on building a custom aquarium controller using an arduino. I've seen things like the Apex and others but I feel like I can do something better for about a quarter of the price.

Right now the design would be to:
  • monitor tank temperature (possibly at multiple locations, perhaps top and bottom)
  • monitor room temperature
  • use the tank temperature to control the heaters and prevent over-heating
  • temperature status lights to visually alert if the temperature is out of the desired range (Blue=cold, green=happy, red=hot)
  • float-switch to notify if water level drops (leak)
  • Under tank water alarm
  • webcam image of the aquarium (from inside the tank)
  • organize all the data into an excel file and automatically email daily updates, track changes
  • automatically send an email alarm if one of the above triggers fires
Other features I would like to include but am not sure of the best way to do it is a pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate probes. If used on a planted tank the gH, kH, and dissolved C02 would also be nice to track.

Perhaps long-term I can do something similar for a reef tank. Some measurements that may be nice to track over time or features to include on a reef monitor that I could think of would be:

• Salinity
  • Conductivity
  • Calcium
  • PAR meter (although this may be difficult to hide)
  • Some alert on a protein skimmer?
  • light controls (this wouldn't work with my current systems but if you built them together from the start this would be nice)
  • pump controls

I'm curious, what would you like to have automatically tracked in your aquarium?

If anybody has any experience with this type of project I would love to discuss it with you.

AquaStudent

Members
Good call! I was thinking cool conductivity and TDS were the same thing but try do tell a different story.

I just realized that my planning spreadsheet is slightly different than what's on that first post. If there's not a good way to post a document I'll make an image.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Not to derail this thread, but aren't TDS and conductivity intimately linked? Amount of TDS determines conductivity or something?

I'm asking for someone else...

Blaise

AquaStudent

Members
I think they are very similar but not exactly the same. I had the same thought and did a bit of Google searching. If I can find the documents again I'll repost.

I do recall that the units were different.